opener replacement?

Old 09-04-02, 08:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
opener replacement?

i have an old sears model opener. one of the remotes broke, and so one of us has to get out and use the key to open the door, guess who that is... i've looked at replacement remotes, even went to the parts/replacement office for sears, gave them the part number, and they haven;t stocked it for years. really old unit. it works fine, just missing one remote. if i want to install a new opener, do i just need the actual opener and the bar leading to the door, or just the opener? can i use the existing bar?

mitch.

Old 09-04-02, 11:11 AM
K
If you decide to replace, you will probably need everything, and everything is included with the unit. I would not try to mix and match.

Check out the sears website. They have a 75th anniversary model for $160. It is a very good unit with 2 remotes and keypad, I have installed 2 of them, and they can't be beat for the price. Pretty simple to install (4 hours), and if you are handy, it should not be a problem.

I think you can simply upgrade your existing remotes. While at sears, I noticed a product that converts older openers to the 'rolling' codes more secure systems. I think it cost about $60 and it comes with a couple of remotes.

You can also try ebay for the remotes. I found old stanley remotes there for some friends.

Old 09-04-02, 06:44 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
75th anniversary model for $160............thats not bad if its a lifetime warr.
i replace a few sears motors a week, make sure the motor has a lifetime warr.
genie screw drives are the best on the market now. stay away from the chain gluides as well as the excelrator.

Old 09-05-02, 06:27 AM
K
I don't remember about the warranty, but I will check.

I would assume that Sears sell alot of openers, so replacing several per week does not surprise me. How old are the units on average.

Old 09-05-02, 06:52 AM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
the age of the unit differs. most of the time its due to the door being out of ballance or they have continued to use the opener with a busted spring.

the reason i like the genie screw drives over any chain drive is due to theres no gears invalved, its a direct drive.

Old 09-05-02, 07:23 AM
K
I considered the Genie (at HD and Lowes), but cost was my deciding factor, since I needed 2 openers. If I could have justified the extra $, I would have bought the belt drive model! The screw drives are about 1/2 as noisy as the old chain model I replaced.

Time will tell if it was a good decision.

Several months before the old one (20years) pooped out the spring broke. At that time the repair guy told me to expect the opener to fail, and it did. So I just replaced both. I figured that the other one was not far behind, and I wanted matching models.

7 year warranty on the motor.

What is the standard warranty period?

I don't put much weight into them for product that cost below $300. It is often too much hassle to claim....To me, just because a long warranty exists, does not really imply that the product is actually any better!

Last edited by Klute; 09-05-02 at 11:03 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: