Installing a Garage Door Opener?

Old 10-02-02, 08:15 PM
rrack
Visiting Guest

Hello all. I'm planning to install some garage door openers and I've run into a slight problem. I've got a two story home and the master bedroom is just above the two car garage. I plan on installing an opener for each door. The problem is that there is a large support beam that runs the width of the garage right down the middle of the ceiling. I started measuring and the opener needs to sit exactly where the beam is. This doesn't seem to allow the opener to be raised quite high enough for the rail to clear above the door when fully open. I may only need an extra inch or two. The beam is sheetrocked and I may be able to gain a little by removing a square where each opener should sit. Are there any other tricks in doing this? I really don't want to notch the beam.

What to do?

Robert W. Rackley
RRackley@ev1.net

Old 10-03-02, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Robert,

I recommend this, where you bought these units from, describe to them your dilema. It may be possible for them to modify the track by shortening it so they can be placed before the beam or extend the track to be placed behind the beam, if the track can be fairly level during operation. I agree that notching the beam would not be good and notching is only allowed within the end 1/3 of the beam.

See what they say where you bought it or if they have additional resources for this problem.

Hope this helps, somewhat.

Old 10-04-02, 10:46 AM
rrack
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the reply. Shortening the Craftsman opener rails may be an option. I'd probably need to take a foot or a little less off the end. However, I'm not sure if that will affect the function of the opener. I'll have to do some more searching. I've spoken to Home Depot and they said that they only sell the units but could send someone out to look at it. I'm just stuck now. I really hate the thought of paying someone to take care of this. I spent a week cleaning out the garage and now to find out I need to customize the openers is just frustrating... But that's the way most of my projects seem to go...

Robert

Old 10-04-02, 01:51 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First let me say that I am just throwing out an idea. I have no practical knowledge if this will work.

What if you were able to cut a hole thru the beam, and ran the rail thru the hole? I know you can buy rail extensions for the screw drive Crapmens openers.

I don't know what this does structurally to the beam, there should be a way to compensate for the hole.

You should be able to adjust the opener for more/less travel. You also would have to worry about the trolley hitting the beam without having the door completely open.

Just a thought.

Old 10-05-02, 12:20 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
you need to go to the local overhead door shop and get whats call quick turn brackets of floopy tops. when these are installed, they will lower the the door 2" when its open.

should be an easy fix

Old 10-08-02, 07:51 PM
bareyb
Visiting Guest
You can also buy one of those openers that sits atop the spring bar directly over the door. I forget the name of them, but I've seen them around.

Old 10-21-02, 09:41 AM
taxxman2k
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by bareyb
You can also buy one of those openers that sits atop the spring bar directly over the door. I forget the name of them, but I've seen them around.
It's the I-drive by Wayne-Dalton. I just installed one yesterday and it is cake. It works really sweet too!, but you have to have a wayne-dalton door with their torsion spring. Which I would recomend to anyone installing a new door. the spring is totally inclosed and it tightes with a corless drill. so it is as safe as a garage door spring can be.

Old 10-22-02, 08:37 AM
taxxman2k
Visiting Guest
crappy pic of the i-drive but you get the point:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: