storage shead

Old 11-23-02, 11:38 AM
utgrad
Visiting Guest
Post storage shead

I could not find a subject topic on sheads so I chose this one. I am building a 10 by 12 ft. storage shead with a slanted tin roof. My question is can I use 2x4's on 16in. centers for the rafters? The rafters will span the 10 foot section.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-02, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you're just going to lay the boards across, tin isn't very heavy, but you might consider going to 2x6's, especially if you live where it snows. Over time a 2x4 is going to sag with a 10' span.

Old 11-23-02, 12:38 PM
utgrad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate not being told that I can't even spell shed. Since the roof is tin, do I need to put slats (2x2's or something) to nail the tin onto?

Old 11-23-02, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Run some 1x4's lengthwise, but nail into the rafter pieces using those nails with the rubber grommets (or use screws of the same type, which are a bit easier). Lay up a sheet and nail the far edge, lay the next sheet overlapping the first and nail the overlapped section, lay the next sheet, nail the overlap, etc.
You want to play the nailing and layup so that you don't have to get ON the tin, which obviously, won't support the weight of someone crawling on it.

Alternatively, you can use 12' pieces and lay them lengthwise and skip the 1x4's. Work from the low end to the top end, overlapping the edges. You don't really even need 16" OC, you could go 24" OC.

Old 11-23-02, 01:22 PM
utgrad
Visiting Guest
Good idea, Thank you