Relocating Washer/dryer To Garage

Old 12-14-02, 07:58 PM
Nancy Sue
Visiting Guest
Relocating Washer/dryer To Garage

The house I recently purchased has a laundry room that currently has a washer, water heater, and sink that drains the water from the washer. There is no room to include a dryer. I would like to place both the washer and dryer in the garage. The garage is attached to the house. The laundry room wall where the washer and sink are located is the same wall dividing the garage and the laundry room. I don't think there would be a problem related to electrical or plumbing. My two concerns are: 1) would the appliances in the garage need to be elevated, and 2) the wall in question is a firewall. Can this be breached by plumbing/electrical outlets (there is already a light switch located on the wall in the garage. The house was build in 1950. Thanks, NancySue

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-02, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nancy Sue,

Without saying something stupid, I would have to say that you should consult your local building officials for what is approved in your area.

What you propose is not usually a problem as long as all protrusions are firetaped inside the garage.

The issue of needed to elevate the units, not really necessary unless you are asking for some reason unknown.

Hope this helps (alittle)!

Old 12-19-02, 06:14 PM
C
Late on this but here goes. If you have a gas dryer and still use the garage as a garage (anything flamable, yes car also) you may be not in code.

Old 12-19-02, 09:45 PM
Nancy Sue,

I totally disagree with cuda clan. I would check with your local building official for the answer to this question as I stated in my previous post.

With what cuda clan is suggesting is that you basically shouldn't even park your car in your garage, that's ridiculous! I know that we can have furnaces within an attached garage but it must be firerocked as per code. Gas lines must be to code. Placing a dryer within your garage is permissiable as long as the firerock is installed properly.

Let us know what you found out!

Old 12-21-02, 10:07 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I think cuda clan is making a reference to the requirement to elevate water heaters off the floor of garages. The problem comes from gasoline vapors traveling along the floor to a source of ignition. The same problem would occur with a dryer, or a heater if the firebox is low enough to the floor. No code handy right now.

Old 01-15-03, 04:49 PM
plockj
Visiting Guest
gas dryer will need to be elevated

Most places require a gas dryer to be elevated 18" above the floor for the flammable gas issue discussed earlier. Looks funny but is rather convenient at that level. Also, you may have to put a steel pole from ceiling to floor to protect the appliances from being hit by a vehicle. The other consideration is the dryer exhaust vent and length to an exterior wall. The code requirements vary greatly from location to location.