Parts (gear) for Garagge Door Opener

Old 12-26-02, 06:11 AM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Parts (gear) for Garagge Door Opener

Hello,

My Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener is not working. Upon opening the garage door opener, I found that the gear that rotates the chain is now powder. I do not know how it happened.

I inherited this when I bought house two and half years ago. What could have caused it?

Can I just replace the gear or am I in for a new garage door opener?

If I can just replace the gear, where can I get the gear? any online store?

If a new one what is community's experience regarding different models in the market?

Old 12-26-02, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
YogiWatcher,

I have attached a link to parts that are available, ensure the model number matches your unit;

http://www.residential-openers.com/lifgardoorop26.html

Various issues can cause garage door opener failure, more times than not, poor maintenance on the garage door is the culprit. Do routine maint. and ensure that the door is operating correctly and that the garage door opener is lubricated, if you are using chain, that adjustments are done right - to much slack can cause problems as well as too tight.

If you feel that the opener is old and that you prefer a new one,
replacement may be better option than repair. You decide on your best option.

I have attached links to major gaage door openers, alot of folks like the Genie others prefer something more - ***NOTE - The more horsepower for a garage door opener is not needed***
Generally a ¼ horsepower opener is sufficient for any single car doors and a 1/3 or 1/2 horsepower for some of the heavier double car doors. The door must be reinforced prior to attachment of a garage door opener.

http://homerepair.about.com/gi/dynam...sictrouble.htm

http://www.residoor.com/garage_door_openers.htm

Hope these help!

Old 12-28-02, 10:08 PM
Y
Thanks for the information.

I will visit those web sites. I have one more question. I checked the manufacturing date of my, now broken, Garage Door Opener. It was manufactured in 1991.

What is the average/expected life of a Garage Door Opener?

Answer to this question will help me decide if I need to get new gear set or a complete new unit.

Old 12-29-02, 05:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
YogiWatcher,

The answer to your question is 10 years or so. Issues that may extend this or lower the life expenctancy may be misadjusted doors, poor maintenenace on doors and opener.

Some components (parts) remain functional but become obsolete because of changing sytles and because of product improvements. This life expectancy estimate is provided largely by the industries or manufacturers that make and sell the components.

You are right, the point of repair versus replacement may be at hand. Replacement may be the best choice.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: