Wall switch replacement

Old 12-27-02, 11:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall switch replacement

I am at work so I can't tell you what kind of garage door we have - but I hope you guys can help without knowing -

I replaced the wall switch with a doorbell switch and I suspect that it must take a special kind. because now the light (that comes on when the door is opening/closing) doesn't come on until the door is all the way up or all theway down.

I replaced the old one because it didn't always work. What kind of switch is supposed to go there?

Old 12-27-02, 01:38 PM
trippergirl,

I am assuming that the wall switch you are talking about was the original wall switch that came with the door opener?

Since we don't know the brand of opener and how old it may be, it's hard to answer the question properly. Normally, this can be changed to a doorbell type button if it is a 2 wire system, if it is a 3 wire system it will not work properly. Also a problem could be the light timer delay may not be working properly since everything else is.

If you have the documents on the door opener, I would consult that or call the local dealer on your particular unit.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-28-02, 03:18 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
this may be hard to believe, but you need to take the light in the push button out. the genie openers act funny with lighted push buttons.

Old 12-29-02, 05:31 PM
doorman28/88,

Hey....where are you? ...can you please inform me on the light bulb issue. I am wondering if I said the wrong thing or what? If it was a regular doorbell button - no light this would work? Can't know everything but I would like to know more on this.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-29-02, 05:53 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
im in the heart of america, tryin to live the nascar life and let the young kids work........lol

the genie opener has the the light only and lock option on its units. all of these work off a 2 wire system that also is used to open and close the door. how the unit knows what to do as far as lock, light, and open/close depends on the resistance between the pushbutton circuts.

the reason the light is acting odd is due to different resistance than what the opener is looking for. remove the light and the resistance is nuthing, thus everything back to normal.

Old 12-29-02, 05:55 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
ok, one last thing.

im talking about the light in the push button.

Old 12-29-02, 05:58 PM
doorman28/88,

I got it...thanks for the insight as to how and why it works this way. I'll keep that in my memory for future...Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: