Low/No Clearance

Old 01-04-03, 10:31 AM
jimjudy2
Visiting Guest
Low/No Clearance

Hi, I've got another question concerning installation of my garage door opener, "Low/ Almost No Clearance". The ceilings of my garage are 8 feet high or so. No problem right? Well the builders of our house finished just over half of our ceiling. In doing so they ran joists from the the I-beam in the center of our garage to one of the sides. This results in an inch or less of clearance from the highest point where my sectional garage door opens to the ceiling (and where my opener would be installed down the center). I can't install my Craftsman garage door opening with such little clearance can I? Don't see how it's possible (why would my builder do this in the first place?) Am I missing something here? I'd hate to have to buy some of these low clearance kits. Right now, I plan to tear down some of the drywall and see what I can do to cut some of the joists to hang my opener and get some clearance. Hopefully, these aren't load bearing joists. Think my builder just decided to finish a portion of the garage ceiling. Again, over half of my garage door has an inch of clearance from the finished ceiling. I'm not feeling good about this.
Jim

Old 01-04-03, 11:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jim,

Is it possible to send me a sktch of what you got to doug@allprohome services.net so I can see what you got. I am sure that a low clearnace kit is not going to work in your case. I have to look at how things are laid out and then I can give you a better idea of what might be done. Try and be specific with dimensions and joists, heights

Let me know

Old 01-04-03, 11:17 AM
Jim,

HEADROOM requirements vary depending on the building construction and the type of springs desired for use with the door.

STANDARD HEADROOM necessary is 11 inches utilizing extension or torsion springs when using 12" radius track. When using non-standard 15" radius track 14-3/4 inches of headroom is required.

To determine proper HEADROOM, measure from the floor to the finished ceiling or first obstruction, as the door would travel into the garage and then subtract the door height.

HEADROOM at the opening (header) must be maintained at least 8 feet into the garage to use STANDARD HEADROOM. Be sure to check for structural beams, conduit, pipes or any other objects that would interfere with the travel of the garage door.

NON-STANDARD HEADROOM REQUIREMENTS

LOW HEADROOM OPTIONS - When 11 inches of headroom is not available.

12" radius Dual Track low headroom reduces headroom to 3-1/2" (must order with door)

Depending on the kit, adaptation to existing 12" radius track and reduces headroom 3-1/2" (extension springs for single wide doors only). Rapid Throw Fixture Kit - Allows for operator installation.

NOTE: Allow 2" for additional headroom if a garage door opener is sold which will accommodate the opener track.

Maybe this will help in what's needed.

Old 01-04-03, 11:22 AM
jimjudy2
Visiting Guest
Doug, Thanks for info. I'm going to do some demolition and tear down part of the ceiling. I don't think the joists are load bearing. I'll let you know. Appreciate it.
Jim

Old 01-05-03, 06:15 PM
jimjudy2
Visiting Guest
Doug,
Finally got my opener in. I had to tear down part of the lower ceiling. As I expected, the studs supporting the drywall ceiling were not load bearing. I just have to do alittle drywall repair (or maybe get my builder to help out). Appreciate your help this past weekend. You provided quick answers to some puzzling situations that occured. Think this is a great forum for all. I'll continue to participate in the site.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-05-03, 06:37 PM
Jim,

You are very welcome. I hear you got your garage door reinforced as well. I guess my carriage bolt idea was bad, sorry.

Glad things are going good with the opener!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: