garage door

Old 01-09-03, 09:24 AM
Mark8
Visiting Guest
garage door

My garage had settle so I had to raise the foundation. In doing so the garage door needed to be realigned and I have completed that but I have no idea how much tension to put on the torsion springs. I have it working now but I want to ensure that everything is correct. Can you advise me on the proper way to set the spring torsion. The door is 16 x 8 with two torsion springs at the top. I have had it apart and I am aware of the dangers. Thanks, Mark8

Old 01-09-03, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mark8,

There are many different systems for setting spring tension. Since you have torsion springs (bar)- right?, first thing is to close the door. Since you already know about the dangers and how to release the tension and increase the tension, here is the rest of the process.

You may want to use a a pc of chalk and mark the sprint to determine the number of times that you will have to turn the spring to add tension. Duplicate the number of turns on the other side.

Check this by moving the door to the half open position. If the door remains in place, the tension is properly adjusted. If it moves upward, the springs are too taut. If it rolls downward, they are too slack. Continuing readjusting until you have been able to accomplish the correct setting.

If you have Extension Springs - 2 individual springs - Follow the procedure via the atached link;

http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...up/print.phtml

Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-03, 05:27 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
rule of thumb is one complete turn of the spring per foot of door. if you have an 8 foot door, each spring will get 8 complete turns. good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: