Garage Door Spring Rod

Old 11-23-99, 02:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a two-car garage door that has springs on the side. There are two springs on both sides. Inside each of the springs is a metal rod (kinda like a hanger?). Recently, this
inner metal rod has been slipping out of the spring. When this happens the door does not fully close (or open). I can easily hammer (by lightlyish tapping the rod) back into the spring. The door works fine then. This started happening several months ago. It needed a tapping once every couple of months. Now, it is about every other day!

Is it time to get a new garage door spring? This set is no more than 4 years old. Or can I repair just this inner rod thing?

Thanks
John

Old 11-23-99, 02:19 PM
Visiting Guest
John, I don't mess with garage door springs. I value my life more than that. Have a pro look at it. Its worth the $60-80.

Old 11-23-99, 02:22 PM
Visiting Guest
BobF:
I'm not sure about extension springs on garage doors, but I got told all kinds of horror storys on how dangerous torsion springs on garage doors were, and was kinda skittish about replacing the torsion spring in my sister's garage when it broke. It didn't turn out to be bad at all. With full tension on the spring and holding it with an 18 inch long piece of rebar, it was like holding up a 20 pound weight while I was tightening the set screw. No big deal. However, it is important to know how your garage door works, so you know what to loosen and when. If you take out the wrong bolts with full tension on the springs, you can get your pants scared off, or possibly injured. If you understand how your garage door works, it's not dangerous to work on it. It's dangerous to work on it if you don't though, but then so are many things. The most important thing is to read the instruction manual that comes with the door (if you can order one from the manufacturer), and it will explain how to assemble and disassemble your door.

Old 12-07-99, 07:05 AM
Visiting Guest
John: I believe you have the side springs.
Yes, you are correct, the springs are probably shot. On side springs, they are easy to replace. For some reason, these rods begin slipping after a few years. Thought. Look and see if you have tighting bolts on the garage end of the springs. If there is a tighting nut, tighten it up several turns and see if it helps. Jack the
Contractor

Old 10-14-05, 03:29 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I have a two-car garage door that has springs on the side. There are two springs on both sides. Inside each of the springs is a metal rod (kinda like a hanger?). Recently, this
inner metal rod has been slipping out of the spring. When this happens the door does not fully close (or open). I can easily hammer (by lightlyish tapping the rod) back into the spring. The door works fine then. This started happening several months ago. It needed a tapping once every couple of months. Now, it is about every other day!

Is it time to get a new garage door spring? This set is no more than 4 years old. Or can I repair just this inner rod thing?

Thanks
John
It sounds like to me you have Extension springs (one spring on each side of the horizonal door track ) and someone has inserted a heavy wire through the spring in place of the safty cables. And now one of the heavy guage wire has broken. If this is the case, with the door open remove the safty wire and replace it with an 1/8 in cable. It should be attatched from the back hangers on the track through the spring and then to the front wall and tied or cable clamped to the very front of the track

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: