Insulating a garage door

Old 12-03-99, 06:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Does anyone here know how to insulate a garage door? Al Carrell on "Your New House" says you just cut styrofoam to fit the sections in the door and snap them in. My neighbor has a metal door with insulation that was put in when it was manufactured. It's just loose styrofoam snapped into the sections and it looks like it's 2 inches thick. I've only seen 1/2 inch styrofoam in stores like HomeDepot. Wouldn't it have to be thicker than that and adhered to the door with some kind of adhesive?

Old 12-08-99, 08:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Terry: You can get styrofoam in 2 inch thickness. that is as thick as they make it.
You will probably have to got to a lumber yard. Home Depot would not carry it that thick. Use a PL glue. PL makes one that is really good. It comes in a tube like calk. Very hard to get off your hands. Good Luck, Jack the Contractor

Old 07-27-04, 12:10 PM
jbd747
Visiting Guest
Garagr Door Insulation

Terry,
I am in the process of insulating my garage door. Went to Home Depot and found that the cheapest way to go would be to purchase their 2'X4' styrofoam panels. They had up to 2" and 1.5" thick panels. My door would only take 1.5" panels and at approx. $3.50 a panel I figure it will cost me about $35 per stall. Good Luck to you. JBD

Old 07-27-04, 03:03 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
the easiest way is to go to any door company and get a pre-fab kit. takes all the cutting and fitting out of the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: