Garage door, too short for opener

Old 02-29-00, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

My garage door has to travel 16 inches up, before it starts the 90 degree turn. What are the alternatives to make a chain drive door opener work properly, since it will want to pull the door off the track, rather than up those 16 inches? Solutions anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-00, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

post the size width and height of your door,then from floor to ceiling (you may need whats called a jackshaft operator its a commercial opener)or hopefully you can use a standerd operator and extend the arm (metal peice that connects the door to the opener)and reinforce your top section of the door.anyway post the info i asked for and ill tell you how to do it

Old 03-01-00, 04:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Frank:
Who installed your garage door opener. I can tell you right now it is installed incorrectly. You opener bar,should not be more then 12 inches above you door. It also sound like the wrong radius is used when installing the tracks. do not buy any commercial equip. You need to drop your opener down. Right above your door should be a 2x10 or 2x12 header. This is where you opener bar should be attached. About 12 to 12 inches above the top of your door. Then you opener rod should be level back to your opener which should be suspended from your ceiling. Hope this helps. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-02-00, 09:51 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank Wilson:
My garage door has to travel 16 inches up, before it starts the 90 degree turn. What are the alternatives to make a chain drive door opener work properly, since it will want to pull the door off the track, rather than up those 16 inches? Solutions anyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the scoop - the door installation is evidently called "high lift" meaning it has to travel up before going horizontal. I though that I could add a section to the top and then the new top would be right at the 90 in the rail - contractor say I will have to change spring, and change cones to drums to make it all work with a new section - seems a bit much - thought adding the section wouls be enought - can't a 1/2 HP craftsman handle the extra section or will I have to change the spring/cone assembly also?

Old 03-02-00, 05:19 PM
Visiting Guest
ok is this a 2 car door or a 1 car door.reinforce your top section and hang your opener,extend the operator arm,and it will work,p.s. i have done this before it works but i think you should have a pro.do it
p.s.s ive done garage doors for a long time and some people should not be answering questions about them hope this helps

[This message has been edited by jobe (edited March 02, 2000).]

Old 03-02-00, 06:51 PM
Visiting Guest
what jobe says is true I was a foreman for a manufacture and then installed for about 4 years if you can find the metal just extend the arm this is a common installation and under no circumstance should you ever try to adjust the spring tension your self

Old 03-05-00, 04:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Frank:
You got some responses from your question. And if you disect each answer, you will find that the others agree with me. Your door is installed incorrect. I do not think you should add an extra section. Simply correct the problem with your existing one. Good Luck. ps for your information I have had over 30 years experience with garage doors.
Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-05-00, 04:41 AM
Visiting Guest
jack i dontagree with you what he has is a high lift door,it is usaully used when you need the upper tracks higher than normal usaully to clear a side door or something.and you may have 30 years with garages but i dont think you have 30 years exp. with garage doors sir,no disrespect intended