Broken torsion spring

Old 02-09-00, 05:17 AM
Visiting Guest
One of the torsion spring for our garage door has snapped in half so my garage door opener cannot open the door....
So my question is : is it hard to replace it by myself? MY garage door has two torsion springs, do I need to replace both of them?
Or is it safer to have contractor fix it?
Thank you for your info......

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-00, 03:46 PM
Visiting Guest
TAKA:
Please have a professional replace it. You will need to replace both springs. It is not that they are so hard to replace, but it is very dangerous. Quick way to loose a thumb or finger or worse. In my company, I will not allow any of my workers replace these springs. I always do it myself.
This is the very best advice you will get on
this subject. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-10-00, 04:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack,
Thank you for YOUR advice..... I will find a contractor......
By any chance, are you in FL?

Old 02-11-00, 03:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Taka:
Sorry, I am not, but I do have a crew working out of Gainsville. They are up in Tenn. now building.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

[This message has been edited by Jack the Contractor (edited February 11, 2000).]

Old 03-12-00, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hey Jack. can you give me an idea of what I should expect to pay to have a professional replace the torsion spring (parts and labor)?

Old 03-14-00, 04:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Dave:
You are not going to believe this, but there are 156 different kinds of torsion springs made. No there is some trivia for you. The price will depend on the springs you have, but I would guess that the springs will cost about $100.00, maybe a little bit more. The labor will not be much. Probably about $50 or maybe $75.00. Call a garage door company, that way you will get the right spring. It does not take too long to change them. I can change out a set in about 45 minutes. Just dangerous. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor