garage double doors

Old 04-17-00, 01:26 PM
Visiting Guest
The garage I'm building is really a workshop, with only enough garage features to satisfy the city government. To save space I'd like minimum-width double doors, opening outward only, with some window area and good weatherproofing and/or insulation. No luck so far finding such a product. A friend suggested asking for "patio doors". Where should I look, and what should I ask for? What's the minimum width for garage doors -- about 7ft? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-00, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Your door width may be whatever is satisfactory to the city's code requirement! Most roll-up garage doors are 10 foot wide. They come narrower, but you'd have a hard time getting your car through with comfort. (remember who you are trying to fool)

Roll-up doors save a lot of room, except overhead to where the end of the door is. You can get them with glass and insulated.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited April 18, 2000).]

Old 04-18-00, 03:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Standard garage door size is 9x7. Nive foot wide. There are millions of them out there.
Plenty of room. Now, as you said, you are not really building a garage, you will have to make your own double doors that swing out.
If you do this you will have to get what are called barn door hindges. Very heavy duty, and long. About 10". I would go with a roll up door. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor