door is soooo heavy

Old 04-28-00, 02:24 PM
Visiting Guest
My dad has a double wide wood garage door. For all of my life (30 years) it has been heavy and harder to lift than any other door I have come across. The last garage door opener just burned out and we will need to replace it. Since we are back to openiing it by hand, I got to thinking that maybe something is wrong with the springs if it is so heavy.

They are side springs which are secured to the the end of the side rail by a bolt and to the bottom of the door by a cable. When the door is open they are completely loose and when the door is down, they are extended somewhat. There certainly is not enough room on the bolt to make a difference in trying to tighten the spring.

1. Why is the door so heavy to open. It rolls easily enough, it is just heavy.

2. if the springs need to be replaced, how do I select the proper replacement spring?

3. Do I just leave this to a professional? There is no tension in anything which could bite - seems all straighfoward.

What should be my next steps?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-00, 09:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Extension springs are what they are, and a piece of cake to replace.
With the door open, secure the door in place by putting a pair of vice-grips below the roller on either side of the door. Remove the springs. Any garage door company, and many industrial supply shops stock springs. The gauge of the wire, and circumferance of the spring should be identical, however there is a formula for variations, should they opt for different than you have. When you install the knew springs, tighten the cables so that the lowest point hangs down about 1 and 1/2" and try the door WITH A SECOND PERSON there. Adjust tension as required. P.S. Gloves and googles mandatory!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterJ:
My dad has a double wide wood garage door. For all of my life (30 years) it has been heavy and harder to lift than any other door I have come across. The last garage door opener just burned out and we will need to replace it. Since we are back to openiing it by hand, I got to thinking that maybe something is wrong with the springs if it is so heavy.

They are side springs which are secured to the the end of the side rail by a bolt and to the bottom of the door by a cable. When the door is open they are completely loose and when the door is down, they are extended somewhat. There certainly is not enough room on the bolt to make a difference in trying to tighten the spring.

1. Why is the door so heavy to open. It rolls easily enough, it is just heavy.

2. if the springs need to be replaced, how do I select the proper replacement spring?

3. Do I just leave this to a professional? There is no tension in anything which could bite - seems all straighfoward.

What should be my next steps?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-29-00, 04:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Peter:
It could be your springs, but since you have mentioned several times about how heavy your door is, I would say that you do not have a big enough opener. I would probably go to a 3/4HP or 1 Hp opener. In 30 years, I have never seen a set of side springs that were wore out. I have seen lots of torsion springs wore out, but never side springs. If it were me, I would probably just replace the garage door with a lighter and more modern door. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor