Garage door grease

Old 05-13-00, 02:46 PM
Visiting Guest
My garage door makes a lot of noise when opening & shutting due to some corrosion. I've tried making it quieter with WD-40 but it seems to wear off quickly.

Is there a better type of grease/lubricant that I should be using?

thank you.

Dave

Old 05-13-00, 07:49 PM
Visiting Guest
"Garage door grease" is sold in tubes. It's available at most hardware stores and home centers.

Old 05-20-00, 02:09 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by 2000:
"Garage door grease" is sold in tubes. It's available at most hardware stores and home centers.<HR>

The home centers I've checked with don't know "Garage door grease" is. They don't seem to know what I'm looking for but are recommending "Lithium Grease". Is this what I should be using? Thank you!

Old 05-22-00, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Use 3 and 1 oil, or even 30 weight motor oil to lubricate the shafts on the rollers where they go into their holders. lubricate the wheel bearings too. the hinges of the door should be lubricated also. NEVER use any lubrcant on the TRACK. It just collects dust and dirt. If there is grease or oil on the track, clean it off with paint thinner, or some other grease remover. If it's your springs that are making the noise, saturate a rag with oil and rub it on them.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by imadvs1:
My garage door makes a lot of noise when opening & shutting due to some corrosion. I've tried making it quieter with WD-40 but it seems to wear off quickly.

Is there a better type of grease/lubricant that I should be using?

thank you.

Dave
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: