Quick turn brackets

Old 05-26-00, 04:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a house that has a 16' garage door that I want to put an opener on. The highth of the door is 7'2" and the garage ceiling (finished) is 8'. It has a torsion spring across the header. Problem: I can't get the 2.5" required to clear the top of the door from the opener rail. I need to install quick turn brackets to get the clearance needed but the brackets will not clear the strut that goes the entire width of the door. Is there a trick to installeing these brackets? Also known as floppy brackets.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-00, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Before I tell you how to solve your problem, please let me know if you have a screw type opener or a rail type.

Old 05-26-00, 08:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

It's a "Genie" screw type.

Old 05-27-00, 04:11 AM
Visiting Guest
I hate to tell you this, but I had guessed from reading your letter that it was a screw type, but needed to confirm it. Bad news, the screw type openers are taller then the chain type. I have run into this many times.
You only really have two choices. Get a chain type, which will still be tight to fit in, or mark the bottom of your trusses in the line the opener will be in, and notch them out. This is touchy, do not cut into them more then an inch. If you have more questions on it, just ask. This is not an easy job. Good Luck

Old 05-27-00, 04:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Just re-read you original letter. I see you have a finished ceiling. so plan A will not work very well. You next choice would be to
lower the strut, but on a 16' door a big job also. I would probably call a garage door man, and have them lower it. With air tools only take about 10 minutes. You may have to move the cinter spring over also, and this is definetly a professional job. I have to recommend this. If you are not used to working on garage doors, this could be dangerous work.

Old 05-27-00, 05:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like the best thing to do is return the opener and call the garage door people to install one.

Old 05-28-00, 08:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Good move. I approve. You will be very happy.