How to ventilate soaring temps inside large shed.

Old 08-08-00, 09:09 AM
Visiting Guest
I built a 12 x 16 shed, on concrete, and with interior walls (wafer board). I recently installed a glass block window, sized 30" x 60". Now with the new window, the inside temperature of the shed is soaring! I have soffit vents and attics vents in place already.
The shed has a ceiling, so the attic is a separate place. The building walls are not insulated.

How can I reduce daytime temperatures in the summer?

I have thought of wall vents, but I do not want to install soft flimsy soffit type vents in the walls. Is there a common vent fixture I can buy at Home Depot for this purpose?

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-00, 06:56 PM
Visiting Guest
You might consider a 12" wall vented fan, with a thermostat. We install alot of them.
Reasonably priced, easy to install, work great.

Old 08-09-00, 10:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Why such a big window for a storage shed? You're losing 12.5 sq.ft. of wall space with it, as well as having the overheating problem. I would replace it with a 2X2 or 2x2-1/2 ft window. Also, shade the window, or put it on the north side. Windows are great solar collectors when they are in direct sunlite.

Old 08-10-00, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
I have read all the suggestions. Then I went to the store and studied the 12" vent fan (too much air), as well as bathroom thru the wall fans(too little air), and then curtains and simple wall vents. I have not picked a method yet. My main problem with these vents is that my shed has interior walls so I worry about a good, wasp proof fit and things like exposed fan blades.

I am leaning towards a simple wall vent if I can find one for a double wall, and then I will add a copula to the roof for maximum attic cooling. It may be a while before I finish the ventilation project.

Mark

Old 08-14-00, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yahoo!! Thanks Lefty for the tip on buying sun screen. I found it at Home Depot. As you say, it claims to stop 90 percent of the heat. Weather it does or not, it sure does seem to have made a huge difference. I am certain it will lower the temperature inside the shed. Of course, I installed the screen on the inside of the shed window, instead of the outside where it does the most good. But there is no question that its helping lower the temp. It was an absolutely perfect idea for my heat problem. Thanks!!
I still plan to put a wall vent and copula on the shed to further ventilate it. But I think the sun screening is doing most of the heat reducing work.

For anyone else that is reading this, the sun screening is a product that is sold next to the metal and nylon window screens. It comes on a roll and is black with tiny pinholes in it to let light thru. I paid $13 for 36" x 84" roll at Home Depot.

Mark