converting garage space

Old 07-27-00, 12:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I am in the process of converting a garage space into a studio space. The space will be used for artwork, crafts and exercise. I have already placed batt insulation between studs, stapled a plastic wrap to the studs to cover the insulation and completed the interior with drywall. The exterior siding is 50 year old ship-lap. I want to wrap the existing exterior with tarpaper or some such vapor retarder, then complete it with new siding. Is tar paper the best bet, or should I use a "tyvek" type product instead?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-00, 01:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I would use tyvak, but don't forget to take off your old siding first.

Old 08-09-00, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I was hoping to be able to just place the vapor retarder over the existing siding. Why would this not be a good idea? I was going to then add new siding over the vapor retarder.

Old 08-09-00, 09:54 PM
Visiting Guest
I have seen it done both ways (remove the old siding or leave it on). The ones where the old siding was left on AND that looked good afterwards where done by attaching 1X2 or 1X3 lathe strips vertically over the studs so that there was a straight surface to which the new siding could be attached. But personally, I would remove the old siding, as Jack suggested. This will give you a much better and much stronger finished job. (The less stuff there are between the siding and the studs, the stronger it's attachment will be) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I was hoping to be able to just place the vapor retarder over the existing siding. Why would this not be a good idea? I was going to then add new siding over the vapor retarder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 08-10-00, 03:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Another reason to remove your old siding, is if you do not, your siding will stick out past your doors and windows.

Old 08-14-00, 10:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I’m looking for information too. I have a garage that is 18’ x 11’ w/ a 9’ ceiling.
There is not a door into the house, but there is a good place to put one. I would like to put down a plywood floor and a drop ceiling. The walls are cinderblock, I would like to put up furring strips, insulation, and drywall. I am also thinking I would remove the garage door and frame it out to put in a bow window.
I have never dealt with the town board before, can I draw up the plans myself or do I need to hire someone. It seems to me that something this basic it shouldn’t be such a big deal. Once I get building approval what should I start with? I figured int. door first then remove garage door and frame out, then floor, walls and then ceiling. Does this sound right? Anything I should look out for? Any tips?