New Garage and Door

Old 08-13-00, 06:54 AM
Visiting Guest
I am building a new 20 wide by 23 deep 2-car garage with 8" blocks. It was suggested by several garage door installers that I use an 18 foot door (instead of the planned 16 footer), but, I also got several different opinions about the finished opening. One said it should be exactly 18 feet, but another said leave an additional 3-5" on each side. Opinion? Also, the plans called for a roof pitch of 12/5, but, now the height of the roof cannot exceed 3 feet above the 8 foot walls. What pitch do I need and will the water still flow off properly?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not sure what kind of garage door guys you have been talking to, but I will give you a couple of facts. Any door wider then 16' is a special order door, and more expensive. It is also heavier, the probably will need a 3/4 hp opener, also more expensive. I would put in a 16' wide door, 1/2hp opener. You make the opening for your door, the same width of your door. Remember, your door does not fit in the opening, it sets behind it. You will need 2x10's or 2x12's sandwiched for your header, with double studs on each end. Your roof does not need to be a 5/12 pitch. This is steep. From the dimensions you gave, it would be a 3/12 pitch or a 4/12 pitch. Both are normal pitches, and will drain. A 5/12 pitch is not normal. If you had trusses bought, what size are they ?

Old 08-13-00, 04:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I haven't purchased the trusses yet, but plan to order them tomorrow. The prices I have been quoted for the 18 foot doors were about $100.00 more than the 16 foot door. Also did not know about the change in the garage opener, but it makes a lot of sense that it would need more power. Planned to make a 2x12 header for the span. What do you think about the prefab type?

Old 08-15-00, 08:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Let me start with, Hi Jack.

Stick with the 16 by 7, a whole lot more changes when you get into the bigger door;ie.windloadind, dead weight on back-hanging. If I had an 18' door in my shop, that somebody had canceled their order for...

The cost may only be nominal because of a nonrefundable deposit from someone else.

On a big door I like a Jackshsaft with a chainfall, for 600 bucks.

16 x 7, with a half horse.

Old 08-16-00, 04:27 AM
Visiting Guest
The prefab headers are fine. Just remember you will need a double header sandwiched together.