Problem w/ dryer venting into garage

Old 10-02-00, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Is there any solution, other than relocating the clothes dryer vent to an exterior wall, to the mess that venting my clothes dryer into my garage is creating? The clothes lent and dust get all over everything in the garage. I've tried rigging a small screen wire basket over the outlet but the lent buildup caused over heating in the dryer. Why would a contractor build a house with the vent in the garage??

Old 10-02-00, 05:02 PM
Visiting Guest
How old is the house? Was the garage added later? Were the laundry facilities added later? I can't believe that a building inspector would have let anybody duct the dryer into the garage. Either relocate the dryer so it can be ducted outside, or extend the duct to the outside. If you go with extending the duct, just don't make it so long, or add so many turns, that the dryer can't push the exhaust that far.

Old 10-02-00, 06:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Panty hose make a pretty good lint trap

More than a Carpenter

Old 10-02-00, 09:49 PM
Visiting Guest
True, but are they code approved?? Nope! Still say you really need to duct the dryer vent to the outside.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by More than a Carpenter:
Panty hose make a pretty good lint trap

More than a Carpenter
<HR>

Old 10-03-00, 04:08 AM
Visiting Guest
I guarantee you that your home was not built this way. Chances are that the clothes dryer was originally in the garage. Very common, then someone wanted to move it indoors. That is if the garage was built when the house was. If not, and the garage was built later, duct work was not done. When garages are attached to houses later, and the duct comes into play, the most common practice is to drill a hole in the floor, and vent it into the crawl space. I am not sure, but I think you can only have duct work work for 6 feet with a dryer.

Old 10-11-00, 07:56 AM
Visiting Guest
If you block the lint from blowing out it will stay in the duct and cause a fire. Dryer duct fires are very common according to a friend of mine who is a fire man.

Plus, if the dryer is gas, then you are venting CO into the garage, very dangerous.

Bottom line, don't cut corners here, vent it to the outside. Also, you don't want to have too many "bends" in the duct work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: