Garage/Opener probs. Help

Old 10-30-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Just installed sears chain drive opener, when I try to close the door (with the opener) the rail from the opener to the wall (that the chain traverses) buckles and jumps the door will close but it seems that the rail is to weak or most likely I am off on my mounting distances. any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-00, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
I am going to ask you a couple of questions.
Did you have an opener on the door before, and did it work ok ? As everyone knows who follows me, I am anti Sears garage door openers. Always a problem.

Old 11-03-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
The door did have a Genie opener, but it was old and did not work when we bought the house
and Sears has absolutly no tech support.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack the Contractor:
I am going to ask you a couple of questions.
Did you have an opener on the door before, and did it work ok ? As everyone knows who follows me, I am anti Sears garage door openers. Always a problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-05-00, 03:05 AM
Visiting Guest
If you mounted the new opener correctly, your opener distance should be correct. To me it sounds like your door is hanging up at the top. Did you put your mounting bracket in the center of the door at the top ?
Get a friend over, and have him or you watch the door when the bar begins to bend. something is hanging up on something else.
yes, no tech support from Sears. Genie are made in Mexico. Worst case call a garage door man and they will fix it in a minute.
Losw cost job. what ever it is can be fixed very easily with an adjustment.

Old 11-09-00, 01:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Trying to install a garage door opener on an older "tilt-away" door. Door has never had an opener. I've seen this done with the opener placed on the side of the door on an angle. Also, we would need a special "side of door" bracket. Opener is Stanley.

Help!

Old 11-18-00, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
chain is probably too tight. ther should be a litlle sag in it about a 1/2". I would guess that youre limit switch is not set correctly. If your door closes and the opener keeps running it will put the force exerted on the rail causing it to bow up or down in the middle and the chain will slip (cant push the door through the floor) you need to adjust the limit .