garage door seal

Old 04-10-03, 09:15 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question garage door seal

Hi,

I have a two-car, aluminum garage door. The seal is worn out and break in various places. Not creating a seal anymore.
I've been looking for a replacement. But, the Home Depots and Lowes of the world only carry a replacemt which is to be nailed into the garage door.
My current seal in "cinched" in over a lip at the edge of the door.
I'm not sure where I can find this type of a replacement?
Anywa advisment would be greatly apprceiated.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 04-11-03, 04:15 PM
I do not think you can buy the kind you want anymore. There were so many different type of door styles, thus many different types of seals, that they were not worth stocking. The theory now is if your garage door has worn out the seal, it is probably time to replace the door. The type that mount onto the floor are very good. It is just a sign of the times.

Old 04-11-03, 09:41 PM
D
Ouch. The entire door? I'm not sure if that is something I can afford at this point. I don't seem to have any problems with the door otherwise. It is about 25 years old. But, i think the seal has taken a beating from the sun, as it is on the hottest side of the house.

Old 04-11-03, 09:47 PM
D
Ouch. The entire door? I'm not sure if that is something I can afford at this point. I don't seem to have any problems with the door otherwise. It is about 25 years old. But, i think the seal has taken a beating from the sun, as it is on the hottest side of the house.

Old 04-12-03, 02:44 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Have you tried contacting the door manufacturer? If all else fails, maybe you could buy 6 sweep strips (the kind designed for swing doors) and screw them on to the face. Or maybe garage door weatherstripping attached to the bottom face of door and secured by screwing an aluminum bar over top to hold in place. Not sure how nice either idea would look, but may do the job.

Bruce

Old 04-12-03, 09:00 AM
Shawn:
What kind of seal are you talking about. I think Jack was talking about the seal on the bottom of the door. Then after reading your other post it sounds like the exterior seal round the sides and top of the door. Home Depot or Lowes should have the exterior seal in their garage door section not in the weather striping section.
If you can't find it in the above locations any garage door company would have it.

Old 04-12-03, 11:41 AM
D
Ahh...sorry. I was clear on that. I'm speaking about the seal at the bottom of the garage door.

I'll check out the local garage door companies.

Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: