Pitfalls in metal building construction

Old 05-06-03, 08:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pitfalls in metal building construction

I am entertaining building a Steelmaster Building for a shop. What am I missing? What should I watch for? 30x24 building.

Old 05-07-03, 03:19 PM
B
cannot answer your question but I just finished my foundation for a 24x30 and orderedthe bldg last week.

www.acemetalbuilding.com

Old 05-14-03, 03:33 PM
Some cities donít allow steel building in certain neighbor hoods.

Old 05-14-03, 04:35 PM
C
I did jump through the hoops and check with the bulding permit department early on. I live in an unincorporated area, so there are few restrictions.

Old 05-15-03, 04:46 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I assume you're talking about the metal buildings with low slope metal roofs, on the order of 1:12 or 2:12?

What I have heard over the years is that these buildings are really prone to leaking after a few years, especially if they screw the panels down to the purlins with rubber washer screws. In fact, we converted a metal building a number of years ago to another use and the owner was so tired of fixing leaks that we covered the whole roof with plywood and a fully adhered EPDM system.

Our structural engineers also tell us that they are designed right down to the gnat's you-know-what, so if you ever want to add on, don't plan on attaching anything to the building's structure; the addition must be kept independent. That really came into play when we roofed the building I talked about above.

I hate to sound so negative, but I almost never hear anything positive about these buildings, other than first cost.

Bruce

Old 05-19-03, 02:26 AM
I have a many metal buildings as shop/garages. I am very happy with them. I have not had any problems with them leaking (unless you count the place that we smashed with a back hoe). We have added on to them with minimal problems. In one case we added a section for offices and in another we just added storage. Just build them like you would any steel structure. I like steel buildings because you can put in very large beams for overhead cranes and hoists. Try putting a 5-ton hoist in any type of wood building. And I tend to set things on fire, so wood makes me nervous. I would be sure to insulate it, with out insulation you will hate it in hot or cold weather, but with some good insulation you can heat and cool it reasonably cheap. As far as size goes get the biggest that will fit and you can afford, me and all my friends never seem to have enough space.

Old 05-19-03, 04:43 AM
C
insulation

The variable seems to be the very thng you hit on - insulation. I can't decide between spray on insulation or building a 2x4 frame inside to use batt insulation.

Old 05-20-03, 12:57 AM
I have never used spay in type insulation for a steel building. But what we have done is use fiberglass insulation and styrophome board in between metal beams secured with chicken wire bolted to the beams.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: