Garage door installation tips please

Old 05-07-03, 12:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door installation tips please

Hi there guys,

A good friend of mine has recently had a near total collapse of her garage due to snow load. The original framing was very poor and to be honest I am surprised it stood as long as it did. THe garage has been repaired and is now a sturdy structure. She wants to put a motorized overhead door in this building. The garage currently has two bypass sliding doors, one on the inside and one on the outside.

The plan is to remove the inside slider and install the new door and opener. I have found a used door and opener for $40. The used door is a 4 panel door with each panel being 8' wide and 21" high. The existing opening is about 2" wider than this and 1" taller. I was planning on adding a 2x6 on each side and the top of the opening to fame for the new door. The ceiling joists are about a foot higher than the door opening so I should have plenty of room for the opener.

I have lots of building, electrical, and plumbing experience, but I have never installed a garage door. Any tips, suggestions, links, etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Old 05-10-03, 07:07 PM
Pumpkin
Visiting Guest
Check to see what the radius of the track is -- standard is 12"

If it is, that leaves 0" for opener

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: