Sears opener doesn't go up fully

Old 05-22-03, 05:40 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sears opener doesn't go up fully

I have an older model Sears opener (model # 139.655000), and I do not have the manual. It is approximately 18 years old.

It hasn't given me any problems, but it does not open the door completely; it looks like there is about three inches less clearance than there should be. This hasn't been a problem, but I'm going to buy a taller vehicle soon, and I need all the clearance I can get.

Can somebody tell me how to get the opener to pull the door all the way open? There don't appear to be any settings to control this on the unit itself.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-03, 06:20 PM
Jump:

I looked your GDO up on Sears.com and found it was very old but I also seen a limit switch in the parts drawing. There has to be an adjustment some were and the limit switch is what you need to adjust. There should be two holes in the casing of the GDO. There should be adjustment screws just inside these holes. One hole would be for down travel and one for up travel.
If there are no holes you may have to remove the casing to find the adjustment screws.

Old 05-23-03, 08:43 PM
J
Roger,

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out tomorrow.

I was wondering how you looked that up on sears.com. Can you give me the URL? I did take a look at the site, but it's huge, and I don't know where to look.

Thanks,

Jumpy

Old 05-23-03, 09:42 PM
Jump:

Try www3.sears.com then put your model number in and it should come up.

Old 05-24-03, 12:29 PM
J
Thanks for the advice. Upon closer inspection, I found a screw on either side of the housing, one for up force, and one for down force.

I tightened the up force screw several turns and recorded the results after each adjustment. I don't think it's going up any further than before. Now the screw is to a point where it seems to be stuck and won't go further in.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-03, 06:23 AM
Jump:

The force adjustments and travel adjustments are two different things. The force adjustments adjust the amount of force the door opener will put on the door before the door will reverse itself. These adjustments need to be returned to their original settings.
The travel adjustments will adjust the distance the door will travel. If you can't find the adjustments they may be inside the opener. If you remove the opener casing be sure you unplug it first.

Old 05-26-03, 12:28 PM
J
Roger,

Thanks for all the help. I returned the open force screw to where it was before.

I took off the opener cover and eventually figured out how to adjust both the up and down travel. Now it's perfect!

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: