Intermittent shut door opener shut down

Old 05-29-03, 05:07 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Intermittent shut door opener shut down

I have a Genie Pro 98 aprox 10 years old that OCCASIONALLY will kill power to itself after opening, so the door cannot be closed. I have tightened all electrical connections that I can see under the plastic cover. The last time it did it, when I pulled the release to close the door manually, the power to the wall switches came back on and I was then able to operate the door normally. I am guessing that there is a relay that is involved in the safety switch circuit that tells the motor the door is all the way up. The power does not go off to the incandescent lights that are on the opener itself, put the power is off to the motor and the wall switches. Even the extra keyless entry will not activate the motor. I just hear a buzz from the opener when the outdoor keyless entry code is entered. The outdoor keyless entry immediately worked too, after I pulled the manual release. Any clues from anyone on what might be the culprit? All of the lights, timers, and travel limit switches seem to work properly. thanks in advance for your ideas...

Old 05-30-03, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would hope that Doorman might read this and answer this question. good Luck

Old 05-31-03, 04:30 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a loose connection if by manually releasing it you "jiggle" the opener enough to get it started again.

You might unplug, remove the cover and make sure the wiring harness that plugs onto the circuit board is WELL seated.

Also, I had one that I replaced the circuit board and didn't tighten the mounting screw that goes thru the board....that must complete the neutral circuit, because without it being TIGHT, it wouldn't work, so check that screw or any other mounting screws....

If none of that does it, it's probably time to call Genie and get a board.....last one I bought was about $45.

Old 05-31-03, 11:16 AM
W
Garage door opener failure

Thank you for your reply. I checked every connection and made sure they were tight. Found nothing radically loose, but in testing I found 3 or four loose hinges in the door and one of the rails was about to fall off the ceiling connection. Perhaps the added drag of these loose components caused an overload? If so where would that fuse or fuselink be located? I put it thru 10 open close cycles before I left with it operating normally.

Old 05-31-03, 02:59 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Possible you were overloading the motor. I'm not familiar with that model, but most likely it has an internal thermal overload protection....when it cools, it automatically resets......

But I wouldn't think that would trip with one raising of the door unless things were REALLY binding.....

But if tightening up the hinges and all fixes the problem, don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Old 05-31-03, 06:34 PM
W
intermittent

lol I couldnt be that lucky, I will probably be buying a new circuit board, but at least I know how to install it now. The door definitely opens and closes more smootly, perhaps less shaking will prevent the problem from happening again. Thanks!

Old 06-03-03, 05:07 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
that unit will shut down after about 5 cycles. just like it was un-plugged from power. drove me crazy

Old 06-04-03, 04:10 AM
W
reply to doorman

what did you do to solve your problem? Mine has gone thru many more cycles than that now, without any trouble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: