Garage opener loses power

Old 06-03-03, 05:07 PM
bmacneil
Visiting Guest
Garage opener loses power

My 1/2 hp craftsman opener, about 4 years old, is now frequently shutting down on both open and close, apparently due to power loss. The light goes off and the sensors lose power too. It's just like someone unplugs the unit while it in operation! I checked the connections inside, everything looks OK. I even tried another power outlet, still no luck. Power is automatically restored eventually, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-03-03, 05:15 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
have you taken the case off and checked for power at the control board? i do see bad cords to the units every once in a while. the hard part about diagnosing problems as a home owner is you dont have every part made for the unit in the back of your truck to just plug in and see what happens. enless you can test the unit for power too the starting cap., you might end up calling a pro out.

good luck.

Old 06-07-03, 08:57 AM
bmacneil
Visiting Guest
Well, I took off the opener cover and had a meter ready to check for power when the problem occured again...and funny thing is, the problem stopped. For several days, the opener worked fine!

Bizarre..so thinking that the cover had something to do with the problem (a longshot), this morning to put the cover back on the opener unit and...sure enough...the problem started occuring again immediately. The opener unit would simply halt, like someone had unplugged the unit. After a variable period of time, the unit would regain power.

Any ideas what might we the short here! Everything in the unit looks secure.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: