Garage Door Opener Reverses Itself

Old 06-09-03, 12:00 PM
whitmireka
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Opener Reverses Itself

I just recently moved into a house which has a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door that is approximately 5 years old. I do not have any manuals on it to consult. The door worked fine for the first week but now it will not close (it stopped working while open).

When I try to close the door it moves about 6-12" before reversing and returning to where it started and then the light on the unit begins flasing for about 5 seconds. The LED lights on the sensors are on to verify that there is no obstruction. I have tried unplugging the unit to reset it but that doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Any suggestions?

Old 06-09-03, 02:53 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
sounds like you need to adjust the door. put the door on manual and see how it closes. make any adjustments needed to make the door work smothly.

Old 06-09-03, 02:56 PM
ncfc7
Visiting Guest
Had the same problem myself. Does the door have the eletric eyes located near the bottom of the rails? If so, they need adjustment. Someone or something may have bumped into them, which will cause this to happen.

Old 06-10-03, 08:46 AM
whitmireka
Visiting Guest
I have disengaged the opener and manually opened and closed the door and everything slides freely and easily. I have also run the opener with the door disengaged and the same thing happens.

There are the sensor "eyes" on the rails near floor and they both show a green light when unobstructed, which I assume means they are aligned properly (if I put something in between them the green lights go off).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 06-10-03, 12:17 PM
sloppdrunk
Visiting Guest
reversing door

I have the same problem with my Craftsman door opener. I find that if I hold the hardwired button while the door shuts, it will close without stopping. Also, when I lower the door myself( disconnect from T-bar and close it), then hit the remote, the 'closer bracket' does travel all the way down.

I know this doesn't help figure out what is going on, but it may give someone else more info to go on. I was amazed that I found someone who was having the same problem I was.

Old 06-10-03, 04:44 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
heres what i would do next. release the opener from the door and close the door. have a helper push the opener button and watch the inner slide (the silver piece that hooks the door to the opener, where the chain is tightned) move down the rail. you might find that the inner slide is hitting something.

good luck, and any other info you can provide helps us a bunch.

Old 06-13-03, 03:12 AM
sloppdrunk
Visiting Guest
When the garage door is discoonected and in the closed position, and the slide is in the open position, the slide travels down the bar without a problem. I've checked the track on either side, and adjusted the tension.

Old 06-13-03, 09:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
whitmireka,

Have you tried to adjust the down force screw? First try turning it a half a turn and see if that makes a difference. Don't turn it any more then you have to.

Old 06-15-03, 03:57 PM
whitmireka
Visiting Guest
The problem has been solved - although I am still not sure of the root cause. A friend suggested cleaning the lenses on the sensors as they had given him a problem in the past. While cleaning the sensors, I bumped them out of alignment and had to readjust them. After cleaning and realigning, it started working fine. I had checked to see that they were aligned previously and it didn't work - so I'm not sure which actually solved the problem.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: