Stress Crack in Garage Floor

Old 06-16-03, 07:03 AM
helplessgal
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Stress Crack in Garage Floor

I'm purchasing a brand new home, built in the past year. Upon inspection I discovered a stress crack down the middle of the entire length of the cement garage floor. The Inspector tried to assure me that this is just a stress crack and nothing really to worry about. The house is in the South so earthquake damage is not a concern. Should I be worried about this crack? I have a 2/10 year warranty on the home but I don't feel confident about getting this fixed in a few years if the crack widens. The crack is not very wide right now, but big enough to stick a pen head in it. Any help for this first home buyer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-03, 08:39 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
This is more likely a shrinkage crack than a stress crack. A stress large enough to crack a concrete slab would be accompanied by a rather obvious heave or hollow spot below. The crack can be routed open and sealed to keep moisture out if that becomes a problem.

Old 06-17-03, 04:30 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yeh, cracks are a fact of life with concrete. Your crack is nothing to worry about. Like bungalow jeff said, more than likely a shrinkage crack; those concrete guys love to add water to the concrete at the site to make the concrete easier to work.

I remember about 15 years ago a young structural engineer I work with was going to pour a floor in his garage that wouldn't crack. He had enough reinforcing steel (bars) to make it a structural slab, had a very low slump concrete with a plastisizer added, and a few other things I don't recall now. It cracked and everyone had a good laugh.

Bruce

Old 06-17-03, 05:12 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I had a client insist that a quality concrete slab should have no cracks at all. I asked why there was rebar sin it since the bars will not develop tension without the concrete cracking? Cracks in concrete are like groundwater. You don't stop them, you work around them.

Old 06-18-03, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A fact of life. If you have concrete it will crack. Don't let this stop you from your nice home. Don't get hung up on your warranty either. Have a good day.

Old 06-25-03, 02:37 PM
B
cracking is cause by poor workmanship, the finish crew that does not care about quality just grab the money and run. you can place concrete all day long without getting cracks. the excuse thatr concrete will crack is just a poor workmanship excuse.

controlled cracking starts with correct soil compaction, with a vapor barrier, wire mesh or fiber with a low water cement ratio placement. around 4 inch slump. correct placement procedure with curing methods to follow. load factors will required rebar of correct steel size.

All or most house slab have cracks because most house builders have no idea of concrete properity and worry about the color of the brick that stuctural items.

cracking is the sign of a builder that do not give a ..........

Old 06-26-03, 06:48 AM
helplessgal
Visiting Guest
Talking Thanks!

Thank you guys all very much for this valuable information. You have put my fears to rest

Some of you recommending sealing the crack. You know what my next question is... how do I seal a crack?

Thanks again!

Old 06-26-03, 01:54 PM
They make a concrete sealer that comes in a tube like caulk. It is an oil base product, gray in color, and does a pretty good job. It is usually found in Home Improvement stores with the concrete supplies. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: