new guy

Old 06-17-03, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new guy

I'm new here and you guys will be seeing me around. I'm mainly a car guy but I recently moved into a house with no shop
I'm going to build a 24 x 25 detatched garage if it'll ever dry out enough to do the groundwork. I'm a pretty hardcore DIY'er (Sometimes this is good, other times well...) I had a guy on a backhoe level out a spot and I have my batter boards set up. I bought a laser level deal with a rotating head to get them all level and I'm planning on digging my footers by hand. Next week, if it dries out some, I'm going to set up the forms. Any advice would be most welcome.
I was referred here by a guy on a Pontiac board who said a lot of smart folks hung out here.
Thanks, Jon
Oh yea, if you check out my site the other guy is my brother who bought the house next door to me and will be doing a lot on the project

Old 06-17-03, 08:01 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Welcome fellow nailbender

The best way to end a drought is to dig footers ! Never fails to bring on the rain. When i was building my first house many years ago, and trying to do it on the weekends, it rained 9 Saturdays in a row.....had to be some kinda record.....

My first suggestion to your project if you haven't gone too far already is to make it bigger.....

My first garage was a 20x25 attached to that house mentioned above.....a car, a lawnmower , a freezer and a few other things, and you're out of room......

Next house we built, I built a detached version 24x35. Tore it down a few years ago, added 50' to the slab and now have a 35x75......and could REALLY stand some more room

Old 06-19-03, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree that bigger is better but I'm lot size and setback limited.

Old 06-19-03, 07:07 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
AH, yes......I'm out on 100 acres now and tend to forget that sort of thing ......If I need a new building, I just build it.....nobody to anwser too but the tax assesor and my wife.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: