Garage Costs?

Old 06-28-03, 09:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Costs?

OK. I am TRYING, emphasis on TRYING to purchase the vacant lot adjacent to my home.

The intent is to build a nice garage. Haven't decided if it will be a 2, 3 or 4 car garage. Cost will be the determining factor.

Local code mandates that the foundation be poured to 36".

Other than the foundation I plan on doing the rest of the work myself. I will be framing with 2x6's and am planing on haveing a simple roof built with pre-fab trusses.

The lot is a level lot, easy soild to excavate. What kind of Ballpark pricing am I looking at for foundation? Per cu or sq feet?

I know pricing is always a sore subject on the net but any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 06-28-03, 09:33 PM
rmelo99,

You're right, getting costs here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. We can give some costs but the best thing is to get your plans together and get it priced out. Make calls for concrete costs, permit, etc.

Jack the Contractor wrote this for a member and I think it holds quite true but again it depends on where you live.

"You could probably figure on about $20.00 a sq ft for materials at a minimum. This will not be very fancy, and will not include any concrete work, or electrical. but will include a door plus an entry door and one window."

Another link to look at...

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...t=GARAGE+COSTS

Do a search of the garage forum for other comments on costs, etc. Bear in mind that what you want will determine the overall cost so plan well and be prepared for sticker shock even if you are doing this yourself.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-29-03, 09:30 AM
As a rule, most concrete guys price by the square ft, not cubic ft.
Usually between $3 and $4 per sq ft., and if you are going 36" deep, you will need forming of some sort, so figure about $15.00 a foot to form it. Do not forget your rebar. I hope you are having this done by a professional. I know your trying to save money, but your footings, excatation and sand or gravel below the footings, and garage floor, are not the place to shave costs.
Good Luck

Old 06-29-03, 10:10 AM
R
Thanks for the info.

Yes the foundation work is going to be done by a pro. I am not going to "try" my first concrete project on my garage foundation!

I am going to check with the local lubar yard for garage "kits" or get some plans online and get pricing on materials.

I was told that local lumber yards can order the roof trusses for you. How long does that typically take, weeks or months?

Old 06-30-03, 03:03 PM
It usually only takes a few days. Do not put up any walls, until you have your trusses on your site.

Old 06-30-03, 03:14 PM
Jack the Contractor,

Good point Jack!

I told a customer to wait and they are still waiting! Truss company is 2 weeks behind! I got another project who wanted to get their structure up and the windows are also delayed.

That "remodeling fever" has taken over and it isn't pretty!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: