garage walls

Old 07-03-03, 01:13 PM
floyd066
Visiting Guest
Question garage walls

I am rebuilding the interior of my one car, attached garage. I have rewired the electrical, along with a circut breaker panel. What is the best solution for insulation on the ceiling and walls? What type of material is good for covering the walls if you don't want to use drywall?

Old 07-03-03, 08:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have seen OSB used as wall covering in garages. Doesn't look bad.

As for insulation if you have the walls open fiberglass batting is best. You are only limited by the depth of your studs. If you want to obtain higher "r" values in limited space then rigid insulationis the way to go but it is more expensive.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-03, 08:43 PM
floyd066
Visiting Guest
garage walls

thanks for the information. the studs are 2x4. i just wonder if osb is ok for fire code.

Old 07-03-03, 10:10 PM
floyd066,

This is just FYI, The common wall between attached garage and the home must be fire rated on the garage side of the wall with 5/8 inch type X sheetrock, extending from the floor to the roof sheathing. Sheetrock joints must all be tight or must be taped. (most inspectors require at least fire-taped-1 coat only) Doors through this wall must be 20 minute fire doors and be self closing/self-latching. There may not be any windows or openings in this wall.

If you have living space above this, even partially, then the ceilings/all walls must be covered as well.

Just thought I'd let you know this as the OSB idea is fine except for issues of Fire/Building Code.

Good Luck!

Old 07-05-03, 08:17 AM
R
Sorry I don't know how to read. I didn't see you said attached. I always forget about those. I have a detached like most around me.

You might still be able to use OSB on the other non-adjoining walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: