Door makes complete cycle

Old 07-06-03, 08:16 AM
cakeylime
Visiting Guest
Door makes complete cycle

We have a Liftmaster from '95. The door was working fine then started to do strange things. When the door is open and bell button is pushed it makes a complete cycle. Closes and reopens. If the door is closed the door does a complete cyle of open and reclose. Can't seem to stop it in open or closed position, always wants to make a full cycle. Any suggestions?

Old 07-06-03, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cakeylime,

If lights on opener flashing....

1. Check photo eyes (small black boxes on the framing near the bottom of your garage door). Make sure the lights are on in both eyes. If no lights are on, call for service.

2. If one photo eye light is on, but the other light is off, they have been knocked out of alignment. Take the photo eye with the light that is off and move it until the light comes on. There is a small butterfly bolt that you can loosen to move the photo eyes into alignment. Be sure to tighten the butterfly bolt after you make your adjustments. Also check to make sure the vibration of the door does not make the photo eye go off again.

Double check complete door operation, no binding, rollers lubricated, no bent track.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-06-03, 11:57 AM
cakeylime,

If lights on opener flashing....

1. Check photo eyes (small black boxes on the framing near the bottom of your garage door). Make sure the lights are on in both eyes. If no lights are on, call for service.

2. If one photo eye light is on, but the other light is off, they have been knocked out of alignment. Take the photo eye with the light that is off and move it until the light comes on. There is a small butterfly bolt that you can loosen to move the photo eyes into alignment. Be sure to tighten the butterfly bolt after you make your adjustments. Also check to make sure the vibration of the door does not make the photo eye go off again.

Double check complete door operation, no binding, rollers lubricated, no bent track, try the force adjustment screw as well, it may have to be adjusted to increase the force down.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-08-03, 12:09 AM
cakeylime
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank You

Hi Doug. We tested and found that the circuit board in the overhead unit went bad. Out with the old and in with the new.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-08-03, 04:39 AM
cakeylime

You'[re very welcome but I guess my suggestion wasn't it.

Good Luck with the new one!

Old 07-11-03, 07:14 AM
stoney85
Visiting Guest
Where did you purchase the new circuit board?

My door will only go up. Once it makes contact with the upper travel limit stop, it will not reverse direction and go down. I am thinking that the problem is in the board. I am on the right path or should I be looking at something else?

The unit is a Craftsman that is at least 7 years old (was there when I moved in)

Thank you,
Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: