Garage door opener acting funny....

Old 07-12-03, 06:55 AM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Garage door opener acting funny....

It started with the button on the wall not working but the openers still opened the door. I checked the wires and everything is still connected.

Now when I press the remote, the motor just makes a clicking sound but the door does not open.

The only thing that is different recently is my wife's expedition has the home link controls and I set it up to open the door. Other than that I haven't done anything to the opener. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Old 07-12-03, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike71,

The Home Link just learns the signal from your remote and shouldn't effect the GDO.
Does the sound that comes from the GDO sound like a solenoid clicking or gear noises? Can you hear the motor running?
If you can hear the motor running, most likely you will need to replace the gears.
If the door is out of adjustment the strain may have caused the gears to go out of the GDO and that may be the noise you are hearing.
Disconnect the door from the opener and check the door operation.

Old 07-12-03, 12:08 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Roger, I hear the solenoid clicking 2 times, that is it. The garage control stopped working first so I thought the wires maybe loose, now the remotes don't work either. It is 6 years old.

Old 07-12-03, 01:35 PM
Mike71,

You haven't told us the make or model number of this GDO. That information would be helpful.
A GDO should last you 10 to 15 years with out giving you any problem. That is if the door is adjusted right and work good.
When you hear the solenoid clicking does the light flash off and on? If it does the problem may be the safety eyes may be dirty or out of adjustment. Check to see if the little light on each of the safety eyes is on.

Old 07-12-03, 02:07 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
It's a Craftsman 1/2 HP. Model# 139.53671SRT

The light does not flash on or off when I hear the clicking
The light on both safety eyes IS on
The Chain is on properly

Only thing I saw was lots of cobwebs on the opener. Later I am going to open the cover and see if anything looks wrong.

Old 07-14-03, 05:34 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
I found a loose connection on the door control and it is lit up now (it wasn't before), so now if I click the remote or the door control, it just makes a clicking sound.

I took the cover off and everything is still connected, my guess is the motor died? Isn't that clicking a solenoid switch that is supposed to turn on the motor? If it is the motor, I would guess it would be best just to buy a new opener.

Old 07-14-03, 05:35 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
1 more thing, the light on the opener doesnt come on either when I press the open button, I would think that it would at least come on.

Old 07-14-03, 06:10 PM
Old 07-14-03, 06:23 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug,

I emailed them and hopefully they have an idea on what to check.

Old 07-14-03, 06:27 PM
Mike71,

No problem...just thought those might help but they should give you the right answers without all the checking.

Good Luck!

Old 07-17-03, 02:42 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Turns out my Circuit Board is toast, most likely due to a lightning strike. I decided to just buy a new opener vs. just replacing the circuit board, mainly because the gears looked pretty worn and it was 7 years old.

Old 07-17-03, 07:03 PM
R
Where you live do you get a lot of lightning strikes?

My boss lives in an area that constantly gets hit. His garage door openers were what always went. He has 3 doors so it started getting pricey to keep replacing them(yes they all would go at once) He had 6 go completley dead on him (happened 2X).

Now if you go look in his garage he has 3 of these

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...CountryCode=US

that his garage door openers plug into! They are mounted up in the rafters. They provide voltage regulation, surge protection and keep the doors working in a power outage!!

These guys are pricey at about $500 a piece, but his were leftovers from work!

I'll stop babling now. The point is it might be worth investing in sometype of surge protector with a good rating to protect the new one!

Old 07-21-03, 06:55 AM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
I'm south of Atlanta. Normally lightning isn't a problem, just recently we had two bad storms. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: