balance garage door

Old 07-12-03, 11:57 PM
Booty
Visiting Guest
Question balance garage door

I replaced the cables on my garage door and now I think that the garage door is out of balance. (one side of the door doesn't come in contact with the floor while the other side does) When the door closes, it only closes to a couple of feet from the floor and then reverses. I have a torsion spring system and want to know how to balance the door.

Old 07-14-03, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Booty,

Working on a door with torsion springs is very dangerous and shouldn't be attempted by a DIY. Sounds like you have the hard part done now you should call a professional to adjust the door the way it should be.

Old 07-14-03, 05:34 PM
Roger is correct. The next step to setting the door is very dangerous. This is only pro work. Not a DIY JOB. Sorry. We will not tell you how.

Old 07-15-03, 08:40 AM
Booty
Visiting Guest
Thankyou for your concern. I do know that torsion springs are difficult to work withand for the inexperienced person they can be dangerous. But I have worked with them before and do know how to handle them carefully. My problem is trying to figure out hoow to balance the door.

Old 07-15-03, 04:54 PM
I am going to try to not sound like a smarty, but if in fact you have done torsion springs before, you already know the answer to your question. The answer is that your cables do not have the same amount of tension in them. One of them is looser then the other. Good Luck

Old 07-15-03, 06:50 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
If it's an exposed type torsion spring, I make a chaulk line on the spring straight across when in the un-loaded position......then you can count the actual turns on the spring ( like a barber pole ) as you wind both sides, getting them evenly torqued.

BUT AS THESE GUYS HAVE SAID.......IF THAT SPRING GETS AWAY FROM YOU AS YOU WIND OR UNWIND IT, it WILL BEAT YOUR LIGHTS OUT.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL....or leave it to someone who does it for a living......no bull

Old 07-18-03, 03:13 AM
Thank you Andy, Good point.

Old 07-20-03, 06:53 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
I figured I could do the same, even before I came on this site, and that torsion bar let loose, lets just say im very lucky..........................I still have 10 working toes, and fingers.I came to this site and asked what I should do to fix the even bigger problem I had then before, and was told the same,trust me leave it to the pros, I made a call had a tech out in about an hour, he did what he had to do lubed the track and gave me some DIY maintence tips, and I gladly paid him the 60 bucks for a service call. Door works great now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: