carport converted to garage

Old 07-17-03, 01:14 PM
lorne
Visiting Guest
carport converted to garage

I have a single car carport attached to the house. The previous owners partially converted it to a garage. It has a front garage door and side wall but no end wall. My question is regarding the end wall. Is it advisable to frame a wall on the slab edge? Should I use pressure treated lumber for the bottom plate? Would I even be able to extend the wall out 2' and build it under the eave. There are 3 concrete pads beyond the slab that I could possibly build on. It would be to much effort to remove them, and they are not totally even nor do they all slope the same way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-18-03, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lorne,

Not knowing where you live makes it difficult to answer.

Lets assume that it is where you have frost...

Frost footings are required meaning that whatever is there now will have to have frost footings placed and then your slab can be poured over this or up to it, depending on site conditions.

Pressure treated or W/T lumber is required whenever in contact with concrete/masonry.

Installing an end wall on just a slab is acceptable if we are not dealing with frost but if they are uneven then it would be a good idea to install new and have a flat surface to frame upon.

It sounds as though what you have was pc mealed together and if you are not concerned about appearances, go for it. If you plan to sell down the line, doing it to look pleasing to the eye and improve its marketability may be of more importance than just "making do".

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: