Replace Masonite panel in wood door

Old 07-29-03, 07:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Replace Masonite panel in wood door

I need to replace the 1/4" thick Masonite-like insert in one section of the bottom panel of a wooden door. I hope to use a circular saw to remove the interior molding. Questions: Any recommendation for a replacement material? See any problem with this plan?
Old 07-29-03, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
First, make sure you can't just pry a moulding off one side of the "frame and panel" to get the masonite panel out. Some are made to take it out, though the moulding may be painted up so much you can see the brad or staple heads that hold it in.

But some are true cope and stick frames with the panel inserted on assembly and you will have to saw that type on one side to replace the panel.

Either masonite or 1/4 plywood is about your only choice if you want to paint to match the rest of the door.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: