estimating lumber needs

Old 08-31-03, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
estimating lumber needs

What's the best way to estimate how much wood I need for my shop? It's 20 x 24 with a 16 foot door, a man-door and maybe 4 windows. I figured on 16 in. centers with a tripled plate made of treated wood. (I figured on tripling it to raise the ceiling a bit.) I'm going to sit down and do a careful plan but I know there will be some stuff I'll forget.
Someone on this board told me to get the trusses on-site before ordering the lumber so that's already part of the plan.
Thanks.
Oh yea, if there is a more appropriate forum please let me know.

Old 08-31-03, 08:59 PM
hoffman,

You have the right forum but I am wondering why triple plate? If you want extra height, are you going 9' or 10' walls? Size OH door? 2'6" service door? Pitch and type of roof? Overhang?

Some inspectors do not like this and frown on it. What is going to be used as a foundation/slab?

Send me an e-mail and I can kick out a material list in a snap but need more info.

Just a thought?

Old 09-01-03, 03:34 PM
I will let Doug give you the list. I agree, if you want a little more room, go with a 9' wall, or even 10. The price difference will be minimal. Good Luck

Old 09-01-03, 03:35 PM
Doug, you've got mail.
Thanks

Old 09-01-03, 06:25 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Go with at least a 9' side wall......that will let you put an 8' tall garage door in, which is REAL nice if you plan to pull a van or taller 4 wdr truck in......the extra height is easier on light fixtures too ! especially if you like to swing board around like me ...I went with a 13'6" in mine this time.......and a 10' tall roll up door.......no more hitting the top of the door with the tractor roll bar !

You can get 4'6" sheetrock just for 9' ceilings now.....if you go with a tripple plate, you gonna have just enough over 8' to be a pain for interior finish materials.....might as well step on up to 9'.

Old 09-01-03, 08:37 PM
hoffman,

3D, floor layout and material list sent. 9 ft walls on slab 1-16 ft door, 4 windows and 2'6" service door.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-03, 01:14 PM
Thanks Doug! The materials list came through as an HTML document so I'm trying to figure out how to view it... Everything else is great.
I got the price on the trusses and it's $530 for 11 common and 2 gables. I think that sounds pretty fair. The reason I wanted taller ceilings is so I can install a lift in the future but I may go with 8 ft ceilings. It's a pretty small shop for a lift and I think it would get in the way an awful lot when not in use.
Thanks again.

Old 09-05-03, 01:17 PM
hoffman,

You're very welcome! Thought you got lost! I'll send the material list in another format. Give me 5 minutes!

Glad you liked the views!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: