Increase in OSB prices

Old 09-05-03, 01:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Increase in OSB prices

I live in a new subdivision and a local builder changed from OSB sheathing to that black board. (Not sure what it's called.)
When I asked him about the change he said that his supplier can only supply the OSB that's in stock because almost all of the OSB is being bought by the gov't to rebuild Iraq. He said that the available OSB is going for $18 a sheet up from $9 a sheet earlier this week.
Anyone heard about this?
Sort of hard to believe but he wasn't kidding about OSB prices going up overnight...
He did say that that black board is fire retardant so it might not be too bad for the shop.

Old 09-08-03, 04:00 PM
Any ideas about the blackboard with OSB in the corners?
Doug, I got the materials list. Thanks. I'm having the truss factory work up how much it'll cost to have the walls pre-fabbed and delivered...

Old 09-08-03, 05:00 PM
OSB and Black board are thow different things. OSB is made of wood chips and wood particles. Black board is fire resistant (90 minute rated) sheetrock. The black paper is to keep it from getting confused with white paper regular sheetrock. The shortage has nothing to to with the far east. It is in short supply due to the amount of housing and remodeling done in this country. There are only 2 mills that make it. Alot of our OSB comes from Canada. The price will drop about Thanksgiving. This happens every year.

Old 09-08-03, 07:01 PM
I kinda figured he was kidding. So what about using it as sheathing? I've seen some construction in this area using r-board.
Price is a factor...

Old 09-08-03, 07:28 PM
hoffman,

Glad you got the material list - did the 3d views help enough?

With regards to what you are wanting to do, the alternative to OSB would be the fiber sheathing or the Tuff R sheathing which would give added insulation quality.

Regardless, the use of the OSB at the corners is approved by code and/or the insert of the metal Kerf Type bracing.

You'll have to do some price checking in the area as to what they are charging for replacement sheathing alternatives.

Hope this all helps!

Old 09-11-03, 04:44 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Jack's right about the price.....it generally drops in the winter. I bought several bundles last winter for $4.90/sht. Whenever I know I have a couple projects coming ahead, I buy about January, have it delivered and they stack whole bundles in one of my sheds using the fork truck buggie.

It's $15/sh right now at the local Lowes.

I suspect a person could make a decent return on thier money by just buying a trailer load in the winter and selling it in the summer......though this year is unusually high, most summers it goes to $7-8 range.

Black board "here" is the term for asphalt coated ( one side ) fiberboard that used to be used for sheathing a lot before foams got to be popular. I'd say it's making a comeback now due the price difference. It has about NO strength, only R1.5 rated and is just good to close in a wall. You DEFINITELY have to have OSB, plywood or some type of corner bracing.

Old 09-14-03, 08:53 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jack the Contractor
The shortage has nothing to to with the far east. It is in short supply due to the amount of housing and remodeling done in this country. There are only 2 mills that make it. Alot of our OSB comes from Canada. The price will drop about Thanksgiving. This happens every year.
I'm having a garage built and was told the same thing about Iraq reconstruction using up a significant amount. They showed me the press release as well. Matter of fact, plywood is way up as well. The 5/8" they have left in stock is still only about $16 or so, but the 1/2" equiv is in the mid $20's since its a new shipment. Maybe it's going up more than usual, even for this time of the year? I have no idea, just sharing what I was told. If I place my order after the 19th, it will cost that much more, since they get a new shipment then.

A quick search reveals lots of info

"Iraq reconstruction builds plywood demand, prices"
http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/...-plywood_x.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: