Garage door opener stops while raising

Old 09-08-03, 08:48 PM
jhyler
Visiting Guest
Question Garage door opener stops while raising

The opener is a Genie Excelerator (the kind which opens doors faster than it closes them), less than a year old. In the last couple of weeks, the opener sporadically opens the door only part way, then stops. When I cycle the opener (by which I mean put the button to lower, push again as soon as it starts to lower to stop, then push a third time to try to open again), it will open the door the rest of the way - or else stop again part of the rest of the way up. There's never a problem when closing the door.

The problem is sporadic - sometimes it will open the door all the way the first time; when it stops early there is no pattern to where it stops.

The only other possibly relevant thing I can think of to say is that the aluminum guide containing the screw seems to shake a lot while the door is opening.

I've made sure the screw is well lubricated.

Any ideas what this could be? Thanks,

--Jim

Old 09-11-03, 10:33 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Probably the door is binding and the opener's "open force" setting is set too low. Check to see if the door opens freely without the opener connected. You can try increasing the force setting a little bit also. Sometimes those buttons move by themselves under the vibration.

Old 09-13-03, 01:29 PM
jhyler
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up You got it!

Couldn't feel any binding when I raised the door manually, but I nudged the open force knob up just a hair and that's done it! Thanks the the assist!

--Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: