JimmyH
Visiting Guest
how to get that slick look on the garage floors

do i have to rent a machine to do this? if so what's it called
or will staining the floors alone do the job? any info is greatly appreciated

Old 09-13-03, 06:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know what machine your talking about. The shiney look comes from the glossey, or semi gloss stain you use. My wife restains by garage and shop floor every two years like clock work and they are pretty shiny. Have to have shiney floors in my lounge and bar. This year she combined two shades of stains and it is really shiny now.

Old 09-13-03, 05:24 PM
JimmyH
Visiting Guest
you know how when u get fresh cement layed down it has that rough feeling.....i saw somewhere that they used a sanding machine to grind it down to get smooth and painted over it...but after i was reading a few post here...painting isn't the way to go...i never used cement stain before so i don't really know

Old 09-14-03, 09:03 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
here ya go

Not cheap.
I'm considering the epoxy finish rather than painting or sanding. I have to go check it out, but it's an easy do it yourself job, and I hear it's durable and smooth.

Old 09-14-03, 12:33 PM
The shiney look when concrete is finished is done with a power trowel. Stain is easy to use just like paint. Paint will crack and peal off, while stain will not. You can put epoxy on also, but sometimes the results are not what you wanted.

Old 09-15-03, 05:35 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
By sanding machine, could you mean the type of machine used for grinding down terrazzo? That's the only thing I know of that could grind down concrete.

We had a client once that decided he didn't like the exposed aggregate concrete floors in his building corridors. It occurred to me that a terrazzo grinder may work. Talked to a couple terrazzo contractors and they could do it, but it was going to be very expensive because the aggregate in concrete is so much harder than that in terrazzo; seems to be it was in the range of $6.00 to $8.00 per sq. ft. for a very large area. I wish the client had done it because I think it would have really looked good, much like a conventional terrazzo finish.

If this is what you're thinking about, call a couple terrazzo contractors with the approximate square footage and ask them about it.

Bruce

Old 09-15-03, 10:22 AM
JimmyH
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jack the Contractor
The shiney look when concrete is finished is done with a power trowel. Stain is easy to use just like paint. Paint will crack and peal off, while stain will not. You can put epoxy on also, but sometimes the results are not what you wanted.
power trowel...is that something i can rent? i'm building a car audio shop...so my garage floors will have very heavy traffic and the last shop i worked at...we painted the floors with epoxy...paint started coming off within time...so i don't really like that idea too much...but staining the floors sounds like it will suit my needs better

Old 09-16-03, 05:09 AM
You only power trowel when the concrete is poured. After it is dry it will not work. Stain your floor, you will be happy, and you can also choose your own color.

Old 09-16-03, 07:21 AM
B
the shiney is the epoxy coating, sherwin william has it for about $70 a gallon. a gallon covers 300 sq ft

Old 09-16-03, 06:27 PM
I have a shiny garage floor with no epoxy.

Old 11-03-03, 08:05 AM
dgough
Visiting Guest
Check out U CoatIt.
There are alot of similar products available.
Will give you that car dealership look.

U Coat It

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: