Second story over garage

Old 09-20-03, 07:33 PM
SalG
Visiting Guest
Question Second story over garage

How can I know if my garage walls and foundation can handle a second story (to be used as a game room)?

What should I consider in looking at this possiblility?

Thanks

Old 09-20-03, 08:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SalG,

Normally, a 2nd story can be placed over a first floor that has 2x4 @ 16" O.C.. with proper sized footings. It is rare that 2nd stories cannot be done over existing first floor but on-site evaluation should be done by a professional to confirm.

I am assuming that this is an attached garage already so the assumption is that you already have proper size footings. Depending on the span of the garage, current height of walls, garage door size and what you have now for 2nd story floor joists will detemine what can be done and with what type of materials.

If you want to look at a one idea that shows web trusses, see this link,

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/030905...86a2f228ef5c3/

(ONCE YOU CLICK THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE IT, YOU CAN CLICK AGAIN TO DOUBLE THE SIZE- use the Back button to go on to the next picture.)

This gives an idea of what this project is and and what it will be. In this case web floor trusses will be used. These will be "mid bearing point" trusses so we match the current floors and avoid using beam and posts below. This type of truss will create a lower garage ceiling by only 8" but in this case we have plenty of room.

Depending on who does your plans, they will assess the site conditions to determine what can be done. When the drawings are completed, call at least 3 contractors for bids and review past projects.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: