Garage wall height and door sizing?

Old 09-13-03, 10:49 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Garage wall height and door sizing?

Hi, I'm having a garage built, 24x24 with a pair of garage doors, and it was recomended I go with 10' walls for extra headroom, but I don't want it to look stupid. I can't picture what it will look like, but I've been throwing around the idea of going with 8' tall doors to make it look more natural, and to accomadate larger trucks in the future. Are there any drawbacks to larger doors, or taller walls? Would a pair of 8x8 garage doors be reasonable ? (oops, I just measured again, and the openings in the foundation are 9' 6". Does that mean they will be 9'w doors?) And lastly, would it be unusual to go with 9' walls? Or is that just a whole lot of unneeded cutting from just 10' walls. I assume the price would be about the same.

Thanks in advance, the foundation is already poured (so garage doors width won't be changing), and I will order lumber on Monday.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-03, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most garage doors are 9' wide, that is why the 9'6" opening. 9x7, 9x8, 9x10 etc. If you want a little more heigth go with a 8' tall door and a 9' wall. You need 12" of header space over your garage door heigth. So for a 8' tall door you would want a 9' wall.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-17-03, 03:11 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Darn it all! No sooner do I decide on the 8' door with 9' wall, when I discover that the precut 9' 2x4's the supplier was talking about are actually 104 5/8", which works out to be another 4" shorter than and actual 9'. I try to explain my concern about now having only 8" above the 8' doors, and they seem to think I'm not understanding something, which maybe I'm not. Am I missing something? The way I see it, the 104 5/8" (9 footer) will be 16" shorter than the wall would be if built 10 footers, no?

Here's a link to my baby. However, the roof is to be rotated 270 degrees so the line goes left to right, and the overhang is to the rear, and the doors are in the load bearing wall.

24x24 with overhang

Old 09-17-03, 03:01 PM
Both you and the store are missing something. When you buy a 9' 2x4, you do not buy a 9' pre cut stud. That is the clearance problem. Buy 9' 2x4's and everything will be fine. With pre cuts you will not have enough room for your required header. Good Luck

Old 09-18-03, 03:11 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jack, I've been on a tear trying to get the "correct" info, since this is my first experience with construction and I'm learning as I go. I also wouldn't want to make a mistake that's going to cost me any more $$$. Unfortunately the general contractor I hired to handle all these details decided to just spend his cut, as well as all the money for materials, and some of the concrete subs money, and now he seems to have essentially "vanished", leaving me with the task.
Anyway, I've been asking around, and I'm told that for an 8' wall, the 2x4 is actually cut down to allow for the added height provided by the thickness of the sill plate, and the header on top, and so you end up with a stud cut to 92 5/8" to allow an 8' wall height. This also translates to 104 5/8" stud when building a 9' wall. They say they don't have 2x4x9 studs, just 2x4x8, 2x4x10, and the 2x4 104 5/8" pre cut, which I guess is a common request when doing 9' walls. You have me worried now when you say "With pre cuts you will not have enough room for your required header" since as the organizer of this fiasco, I'm now liable. Unfortunately I can no longer afford to higher a gc, as this 2 car will now come in at about 35k after my previous loss. Ouch! Live and learn... "Never go with the lowest bid"

Thanks again for your help,
Tom

Old 09-18-03, 09:20 AM
Hey Dosperado, I'm building a 20x24 garage and I also have my slab poured and nothing else. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat with no experience doing this sort of thing.
I'm going with a single 16 foot door and also debated the 9 or 10 foot ceiling deal and the 7 or 8 foot door height. I finally decided on a 7 footer because that xtra foot is gonna cost about $175 more and I don't see me ever getting a 4x4 or tractor. (I work on cars as a hobby) Some of my friends have 7 footers in their shops and have never looked back.
Something to check is pre-fab walls. A local truss builder quoted me $1000 for 9 foot walls with 4 window openings a door opening and an LVL header over the garage door. If I did it myself I would only save about $300 and if I screwed something up I might not save anything.
I figure it's worth it to me but some of my friends think I'm crazy...
With the prefab walls and trusses a couple of guys could have the whole thing dried in in a weekend.

Old 09-18-03, 03:10 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
QUOTE:

when I discover that the precut 9' 2x4's the supplier was talking about are actually 104 5/8", which works out to be another 4" shorter than and actual 9'. I try to explain my concern about now having only 8" above the 8' doors, and they seem to think I'm not understanding something, which maybe I'm not. Am I missing something?

Yep.....You are missing something....

The 9 foot wall stud is only 104 5/8"......but you have a 2x4 laid flat at the bottom of the wall for a "shoe" plate and you have a double 2x4 plate at the top of the wall. When you add that 4 1/2" back to the 104 5/8", you have 109 1/8"....or 9' 1 1/8".

The typical house will lose 1/2 or 5/8" of that to the ceiling drywall and maybe 3/4" or so to the finish flooring......you end up with right at a 9' inside height....

That's WHY the stud is "pre-cut".......other wise, you'd end up with a wall that is about 4 1/2" TOO high inside to fit standard materials like drywall. ( and they do make 4'6" drywall for 9' ceilings by the way )

You will have about 12" of headroom over your 8' door using that precut 9' stud + your plate material.

Old 09-18-03, 06:54 PM
Andy is correct also. When I build a garage with an 8' door, I use a 2x4 plate, a 9' stud, and double 2x4 plate on top. My jack stud
is 8' with a 12" header. This way my double top plates go over the top of my header. This is just my choice of doing them. Andy's way is just as good, so now you have 2 choices. Sorry about your contractor problem. I tell people everyday to not take the lowest bid. Usually the higher bids are from contractors who are very busy. These are the ones you want. The good ones are busy all year long. Have a good day.

Old 09-18-03, 08:45 PM
Good info as usual guys. I knew about 8 foot wall studs being shorter for the plates but I didn't know about the 9 foot studs. Now I understand why my walls are going to be 9' 1".

Old 09-19-03, 03:58 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Yeah, Jack is right about the header.....

IF you use a 2x12, you won't have room for an 8' high opening under the header AND get your top plates to run across the top of the header also......

Soooo......if you're using a door that needs a 2x12 header, like a 12' or wider door, you ARE gonna have to go with a taller wall like Jack said....

But since you're using 8' wide doors, you could get by with a 2x10 header ( doubled of course and with a 1/2" plywood plate sandwiched between) and still run one 2x4 flat across the top to tie the walls together.

Your header size is gonna depend on the load above and the span.

Bet your head is spinning now, huh ?

Old 09-19-03, 08:06 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Tn...Andy
Bet your head is spinning now, huh ?
Thats an understatement!
I'm told they are using one of those engineered type headers over the doors. And the frost wall will add about 6" to the height, so I'm told the doors should fit fine using 104 5/8" studs. Now I have to figure out what color my shingles are for the load today. And it's raining, great.

It'll all be over soon.... thanks for all your help, I think I need to find a "Construction for Dummies" book.

Tom

Old 09-20-03, 06:38 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Wow, this is likely my fault, but the framing crew framed my sliders as doublehungs, and now they have to change it. I guess that an easy screw up, I should have made it clear. Ouch.

Old 09-20-03, 10:11 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
You mean they got the width and height reversed ?

Windows and doors dimensions are always width first, height second........ie, a 9x7 door is 9'wide and 7' high.

A 8'x8' garage door still confuses me though........

Andy......splitting mountains of firewood today and just stopped up at the house for a burger.

Old 09-20-03, 10:36 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Tn...Andy
You mean they got the width and height reversed ?
I just handed them the windows. They didn't ask what the dimensions were, and I didn't point out that theye were sliders. When I bought the windows, I was told the big sticker always goes upright, and thats how you tell. I guess I thought a 5'x3' window would clearly be a slider rather than a double hung. Oh well, they fixed it and didn't charge me extra. However, walking up to a group of 9 strangers sitting down for a break and trying to find the words to tell there boss the windows were the wrong way was a little intimidating

So now, 5 hours later, I have a garage. And I can see I'm still nowhere near done. Slab. Electric. Siding. Paving. and a "punch list" I assume? Do I get to do one of those and call back the subs? Or will they beat me up if I try .... is that why it's called a punch list? haha

The worst part is where every sub says "Jeez, if you had only called me first ....."
Man I hate that,

Old 09-20-03, 11:47 AM
The subs are correct. You should have called them first. What they are realy telling you is that they could have probably saved you some money. But I know the truth hurts sometimes. Don't stop them, just let them keep going. You have already got stung once, don't do it again. If you say you will call them back later, it will cost you alot more. They will see to that. A punch list is a list of things to finish. Usually little things. Good Luck