Fiberglass panels on walls.....??? Advice...

Old 10-12-03, 07:15 PM
scale21
Visiting Guest
Fiberglass panels on walls.....??? Advice...

I have a 24x30 fully insluated garage. I have it all sheetrocked and the rock is about 2 inches off the floor incase of moisture.

My question is

I am thinking of using fiberglass paneling (the kind that is in all commerical kitchens and public restrooms with the pebble finish) and i want to run that about 4 feet up the wall from the bottom leaving about an half inch at the bottom. (in case i want to put in tileing or something in the future).

I am going to afix it to the wall with stainless screws rather than gluing it down to the sheet rock just in case i need to remove it for some reason later.

The plan after that is to take that rubber baseboard molding (i think that is about 3 to 4 inches wide) and put that at the bottom of the fiberglass with some strong constrution adhesive. and the base board molding of course would have a bead of good caulking right to the floor.

I am thinking of doing this for ease of cleaning and less wall marks etc in my shop. Also it would be easy to take a pressure washer or wet rag too when i comes time to clean it up.

Has anyone done this or used this paneling in this manor? I dont want to buy15 4x8 sheets of it to find out that it isnt going to work out. Its pretty spendy at $20 a sheet.

I figure it will dress off my shop walls quite nicely as well but wanted a second opinon and or ideas.

Im thinking it woud be a great solution to keeping things looking great in the garage .....and if i get white panels i can still use the lcd projector to project movies up on the wall for theater garage night

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-03, 04:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I use it alot. But you will also need to glue it, as the screws will not keep the bubbles or bows out of the middle of the board.
Instead of buying all the sheets, buy just one, put it up and see how you like it. If you do like it, buy more. Good Luck

Old 10-14-03, 11:01 AM
scale21
Visiting Guest
so you dont think screws will keep it up there and flat? Ill have to buy one and give it a shot. I just hate to glue it and end up not being able to peel it off later.

Old 10-14-03, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
scale21,

What Jack is suggesting is a good thing. The issue with the glue is that area between the 16" O.C. studs, the panels will flex and this may create the puckers that would look terrible.

Also think about temp changes, the screws are great at the studs but the additional adhesive will assist in maintaining a relatively flat surface.

Try one sheet then go from there.

Good Luck!

Old 10-15-03, 05:31 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I did this for a friend in her dog kennel, a converted double garage that is heated to 60 degrees. What we found is that there is always a gap at the top in various places where water splash can between the upper part of the wall and the fiberglass. What we did to solve it was put a piece of wood trim at the top, set in silicone, and nailed every 4". Seems to be working for her.

Bruce

Old 10-15-03, 07:37 AM
scale21
Visiting Guest
ok.

Did you glue the panels on to the walls or did you just screw them on ?

Im going to try and get a sheet of it this weekend from menards and see how it is going to work for me.

Old 10-15-03, 12:37 PM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We just screwed them on with brass screws. And, yes, they are a little bit "puckery" (is that a word??), but they were translucent and we didn't want to see the glue lines; she also wanted to be able to take the panels off if necessary.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: