Need to Raise Garage Opening

Old 11-13-03, 03:49 PM
freshbru
Visiting Guest
Need to Raise Garage Opening

Hi, My husband and I just purchased a home...The garage opening is 77" high, my husbands van is 78.7" high....Once the van is in the garage, there is no problem fitting because the garage door tracking is adjustable...His question is, is there a way he can somehow raise just the opening of the garage about 2 inches, either by somehow cutting, etc..? Any help would be appreciated..

Freshbru

Old 11-13-03, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
freshbru,

Unfortunately, cutting the garage door header would not be a good thing. 2" is enough to weaken it and cause bowing which wouldn't help you out at all.

Option would be to raise the header and this process isn't hard but if you are unable to do this yourselves, then seek professional help. Issues will be what has to be repaired or replaced when this is done.

Assessment of your garage is required first and then determine your options, do it yourself or hire it done.

Good Luck!

Old 11-14-03, 05:07 AM
freshbru
Visiting Guest
Raising Garage

Thanks Doug for your help...The first thing is to move, which will be in December...I told my husband, since the van is going to be garaged all winter, deflate the tires, drive the van slowly into the garage, then inflate tires, and worry about the garage in the spring.. Once the van clears the opening, the ceilings in the garage are much higher...

Thanks again,
Tina

Old 11-15-03, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tina,

You're welcome!

Sounds like a plan to me! Congrats on the home purchase!

Enjoy Xmas at the new place!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: