Shed- To build or buy?

Old 11-18-03, 07:48 PM
jclick
Visiting Guest
Question Shed- To build or buy?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here is my question. I'm trying to figure out if it would be best to build a wood shed (like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42153 ) or to buy a vinyl shed from Lowes for $550 plus tax. Would the sort of shed in the plans cost more than the vinyl one in parts? I know it would take alot of work to build one but I'm trying to get the most storage for my money.

Old 11-18-03, 08:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You can buy a factory or ready-built storage shed or portable outbuilding for less than it would cost you to build one just like it from scratch, wood or vinyl.
(Henry Ford was right.) LOL
Good Luck!

Old 11-19-03, 04:31 AM
jclick
Visiting Guest
Sources

Do you know of any good sources of sheds or is Lowes/Home Depot about the best?

Old 11-26-03, 04:00 AM
CyndyBLP
Visiting Guest
build or buy

Iwent through this dilemma about a year ago, and opted to build. Believe me, I could have bought ready made one WAY cheaper than what it has cost me to build (which, by the way, is still not totally finished - one gable still exposed). I probably have about $1100 in a 10x12 shed,
The thing is, though, that mine is very sturdy (too sturdy - I live in inland Florida - no chance of snow or hurricanes), and built with the windows and door just where I wanted them. My problem was that I couldn't have gotten a truck back to where I wanted the shed without removing trees. Plus, I'm a true do-it-yourselfer so for me the fun is as much in doing it as it is in having it.
So in retrospect, I'm still glad I went the way I did. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
Hope this helps.
Cyndy

Old 11-26-03, 05:26 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Like Cyndy, I built a shed from scratch a few years ago; spent about $1,000 on a 8' x 14' footprint. The really nice thing is that it is built exactly the way I want it, will stand up to snow and wind loads, is more abuse resistant, etc. And it was a lot of fun building!

I was very happy to spend the extra money for a custom design.

Besides, when was the last time you saw an architect who was happy with something "normal"?

Bruce

Old 12-01-03, 08:58 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have built one, and have purchased one. Building one does cost more, but as the other posters have mentioned, you get what you want if you build yourself. I did however just buy one not two months ago. Got a large 12x24 bear bones, and put in a cheap window and another door where I wanted it, built all the shelves and ancillary stuff to my design, and I am very happy with it. I researched it for quite a few months, and decided to go with a group called the Amish connection. Very happy with them. They deliver pre-fab in the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 11-07-04, 11:12 AM
wendelltate
Visiting Guest
I just went through this same situation. I initially wanted to build one myself but when I started adding up the cost of materials and time it just wasn't worth it. I then researched and found a local company that built my 12'x16'x10' with weather treated flooring, a storage loft, and a work bench down one side for about $1600. The money was well spent.
Good luck!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: