boxing in an I-beam for drywall

Old 11-21-03, 07:18 AM
N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question boxing in an I-beam for drywall

Hi - I am looking for information on the best way to 'box' in a steel I-beam so that drywall can be attached. The I-beam is in my garage which is attached to the house (2 car under). The garage requires 5/8" firecode drywall.

The I-beam is 16 inch tall and 7 in wide and has a wood 'sill' on top where the floor joists for the floor above it rests. What I have done so far is to put 2x6 lumber in a 'U' shape around the I beam with anywhere from 28 - 33 inches on center. I have piping and some wiring (not electrical but cable, phone, etc) running in the I-beam so my spacing became somewhat erratic (I could not frame over the pipes). The framing I've done so far can accomodate a couple of 12 foot long piece of drywall catching a stud on each end.

My question is; Since I only have a series of 'U' framing mounted on the I-beam, do I need to provide framing for the bottom and top edges of the I-beam box, between the 'U' sections, or is what I have good enough to hang the drywall from?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-24-03, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideally you want to have framed it on 24" centers at most. Since we're just talking about what 16" rips on the 2 sides of the beam and like a 8" rip on the under side, I'd say you'll be ok with what you've got there provided it's solidly framed. Use a pencil to mark your nailers on the ceiling so there easy to locate once you get your rip into place. Have fun

Old 11-25-03, 04:08 PM
If you stick with your "U" construction you will have to tape on the corner bead. It will crack out if you nail it that far apart.

Old 11-30-03, 12:08 PM
Got a point there coops, so used to beadex corners, I don't think about corners like that cracking.

Old 12-01-03, 12:03 AM
F
Drill holes in your beams and drill your
rock to fit.???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: