Noisy garage door

Old 11-29-03, 07:07 PM
katmeg99
Visiting Guest
Noisy garage door

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but I just bought a house that is about 20 years old and I am assuming the automatic garage door is the same age. It is extremely noisy when opening and closing which is a problem for me as I work long hours and it wakes my daughter up when I come home at night. Any suggestions? It is a genie garage door opener, if that helps.

Old 11-29-03, 07:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
katmeg99,

Is it the garage door or is it the opener itself that is noisey?

Old 11-29-03, 07:20 PM
katmeg99
Visiting Guest
the opener, or I guess to be more specific, the motor, or whatever is actually opening the door.

Old 11-29-03, 07:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
katmeg99,

After sitting here, I guess this would be the best answer for you regardless of what I asked. If you can ensure that the door hardware, tracks are all properly alighened, bolts and nuts are tight, you could run the garage door opener only by disconnecting it from the door. Check for noise level. Then raise and lower the garage door manually to see how much noise you have from that. What you hear is what you should check on and/or replace.

On an average, lifespans of 8 - 10 years can be expected, although there are operators out there which last as little as 5 years yet as long as 25 years (or more!). If your operator is getting old, consider replacing it with an up-to-date machine with all the latest safety features. It sounds like that you have an old unit and the latest safety features are a must.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: