2-level garage

Old 12-03-03, 08:02 PM
bdkms
Visiting Guest
2-level garage

I'm considering building a detatched garage at the end of my driveway. Beyond this point the yard slopes downhill. If I dig out a portion of the slope I can create a lower level of garage or storage space with back entrance (like a bank barn).
Question is, what's the best method for for a strong (and water-tight) concrete floor above, to park two cars on? Form & pour, precast deck panels, etc? Of course local code may not give me a choice, just looking for other options.
Thanks!

Old 12-03-03, 08:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bdkms,

I'd recommend precast planking. I think it is more cost effective, faster than an overhead pour. I have designed and built additions where they had walk-outs and this works great.

Once planking is in, sitting on top poured or block foundation walls, permieter block is installed then a 4" to 2" concrete pour is done over it, sloping towards the garage door. Build your frame, roof and side it, you're done. Lower level exteriors can be finished with siding via furring strips or stucco type applications all to enhance the appearance.

One used the below area for a garage, another for a wood hobby shop and one had a home office. If you can afford it, you can easily make this into useable space.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-04-03, 05:22 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The only thing that I would add to what Doug said is that the topping will probably make the floor watertight, but if you want to be ABSOLUTELY sure its watertight, put a layer of Bituthene on top of the precast and pour the topping over it.

Bituthene is similar to Ice and Water Shield used on roofs, but tougher; made by W.R. Grace. There are several other membranes similar to this product. You may even be able to use Ice and Water Shield, but you should call the manufacturer first to be sure there are no problems in doing this.

Bruce

Old 12-04-03, 06:37 AM
bdkms
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful!
Great Forum!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: