Detached or attached?

Old 12-04-03, 11:30 AM
Y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detached or attached?

I am thinking to add a simple one car garage next to my house. I have some questions:
(1). How close can a "deteched garage" to the house (the house has a basement)? It seems much easier to get permit for a deteched garage.
(2). Can a garage be built on top of gas line? (footing 2' deep, gas line 3' below grade).
(3). Does a 18'W 28'L garage make sense? Width of garage is limited by setback requirement, house is 29' long.
Thanks.

Old 12-04-03, 01:25 PM
jpe55071
Visiting Guest
1) This will depend on your city. I would have to leave a 5 foot space between the house and garage, a friend of mine who lives 3 miles away would need 10 feet. Call city hall.

2) Not sure where you live, I'm from MN, footings need to be at least 42" below grade. I would think this would not be a good idea, If a problem ever came up with that gas line, your local gas company will bust a hole in your floor and footing to get at the pipe. Contact your local gas company and have them move the line. This is ussually very inexpensive.

3) To each his own on size and shape. 18' Wide will give plenty of room to move around and 28' deep sounds like work shop space to me.

Old 12-04-03, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build the detached garage. A lot less expensive, and easier codes. 18x28 is plenty big. No you cannot build over a gas line or
for that matter, and underground utility. You will have to check with your local people for your set backs and house distance. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: